Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help on findin a new gun

Old 07-11-2004, 12:59 AM

Default RE: help on findin a new gun

What kind of area are you hunting?
Deeply wooded, lightly wooded, fields?
How far of a shot do you expect ot take?
How long have you been shooting?
What guns do YOU feel comfortable with?

Those questions are the only ones you can answer, everything else above is just what people like for themselves for that particular situation that THEY are used to hunting.

Yes 7mm are good rifles, but at 13, you might weigh 100 pds, and so a 7mm is NOT for you, unless you like being bruised everytime you shoot it.

You might be mainly hutning in deeply wooded areas, with no shot over 100 yds, a 30/30 is a good gun.
The gun you choose is dependant upon the above questions.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any of the rifles in the .243 to .270 range will kill a deer, IF you do your job of bullet placement. Something you may not think about is to get a good anatomy picture and study it to know where to shoot the deer, keeping in mind the different angles and where the bullet will go when it enters the deers body. Be sure to pick a quality scope to match the type of hunting you are going to be doing. I don't use anything other than a bonded bullet also.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta love the 270
Old 07-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gun fit and comfort is the most important factor after you decide on caliber. Try a bunch of new and used guns to find out what your body, shoulder, cheek, and eyes prefer. You need to "settle into" any gun with which you plan on becoming a great shot.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 AM

25-06 or 270
Old 07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 270----7mm-08---------or 260 would be fine
Old 07-15-2004, 05:55 PM

7mm-08.........perfect for your age. I am 15 now but if I was your age thats what I would shoot. I shoot a 30-06, with precision accruacy, but I am also 155 lbs. and 6'0 feet tall (I dont really look skinny, I just dont weigh much). I would consider a girl that is 15 and a guy that is 13 to be very similar when it comes to shooting. I know a girl that hunts with a 7mm-08, and is about the same size as you descibed (shes 15). .270 may be better for long range, but 7mm-08 should do the job. + you probably shouldnt be shooting over 200 yards. I still haven't shot anything over 150 yards, but this year I am "sort of" changing my equipment to where I will be able to make that shot. I am using a high mag scope (Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50) and I think I will be buying some Hornady Ligh Magnum Loads for my 30-06, just in case I need a lil more getty' up.

If you have already decided on the .270, then that is fine, but a 7mm-08 would be a better choice that can last longer (but still very close to a .270) I would not go with anything under a .270 because it won't last...you'll out grow the gun. Actaully for a 13 year old a .280 may be perfect, but it is just harder to fins bullets for that rather than a normal caliber.

After that, it all depends on the amount of money for a scope. If you have a little over a $100 then I would go with a swift. (Perfect for a .270 or 7mm-08). But iff you have a little more go with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (only model) that will cost you about $150. Next would be a Leupold rifleman, about $170, then a Nikon Buckmaster, about $200+. Once you get higher than that you can look into the Burris' and the better Nikon's. You could also get a vari X I for about $200. It's all up to the amount of money you have, or your parents are willing to spend. Maybe you will be lucky and be in a family that hunts, because I just spent $400+ OF MY OWN MONEY to buy a new set of optics (binocular $60, scope $270, and rangefinder $99) pkus a few other things.

Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps you make a choice.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 PM

I doubt there has ever been anyone who has "outgrown" a .270 as far as deer hunting. The only reason I don't always use a .270 is because with some of the windy conditions I hunt in I like to have a little heavier bullet to buck the wind, that is when I use my 300 RUM.

There isn't a species of deer on the planet that can't be killed with a .270. I dropped a doe that weighed around 230lbs in Kansas with a .270 at a touch over 400 yards without any wind. A 230 pound doe is larger than 90% of the deer killed in Arkansas.