Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer? >

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

I would have to agree with Ausie, for me it’s all about going out and enjoying the day in the bush away from the city. When I started I went for a long dry spell without getting anything and not even a shot. I got frustrated but didn’t quit so I would say for your friend to keep it up.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 AM

Default RE: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

I would say that this is a question only he can answer.

I knew a guy who went deer hunting *hoping* he wouldn't actually shoot a deer--he enjoyed having a good reason to be in the woods, and didn't want to spoil the experience by having to clean & drag a deer out of the forest. To each his own.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some great replys and thanks so much for taking the time to answer. My buddy has no intention of quiting, he's definitely a hunter, in his blood so to speak, like the rest of us. There are deer in our areas, as we usually take 3-4 a year out of 6 guys but he's never been included in those numbers. He wil someday soon and any legal deer will do the trick. He's not after that big trophy buck so whatever is legal he's take. He has been with us all these yrs. and has learned a lot, especially about hunting the wind, scent control etc and he's put himself in a few great positions to take his first deer, but unfortunately none were legal.....If (when) he finally puts his tag on his first deer this year, I will definitely make everyone here aware of it. Addiional replys here are always welcomed, so please let me know what you think. Thanks again, and Good Luck to all in 2004!.......Jimmy
Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

He is hunting in a state where the population density is very low. WHen you see a Buck though it will probably be decent. I spent a week hunting there a few years back and between 3 hunters we spotted 4 deer and I blew a chance at a really good buck. I usually see that many deer in the first 15 minutes of the hunting day whenever I hunt anywhere else. I am glad he is so patient.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

heck no....it too me till my 5th year of turkey hunting to kill one.....now i havent not filled a tag spring or fall since.....im up to 3 since then....i just never got the shot i wanted......but now im killing them..never even shot till i killed that first one.......i didnt ever want to quit....woke up at 3am many many many days to not kill a turkey....but i had fun.....if huntings all about killing your missing the best part......i can go out alone or with my friends or with my dad and not see a single legal animal...not even fire the guns....and still have a blast...maybe im wierd.....but to me killing isnt all there is to hunting....my physics teacher used to hunt...but to him the kill was nothing at all...so he quit..now hes an animal watcher.....im not like that....i love the kill and love to eat game......but theres more to hunting.....tell your buddy to stick with it his time will come sooner or later......
Old 07-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know, for me personally i think it would just give me more drive to get one the next year. but let me tell you a have a friend that hunted for 9 years and just this past year got his first deer a nice doe but id tell your friend that i wouldnt give up, and good luck!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would never give up hunting! i live for it. tell your friend good luck and keep at it. if all else fails go to a place with more deer. like illinois!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree its not the kill.......let me share something with you. It was a very chilly november morning and i all ready had a freezer full of venison from the does i harvested but still wanted to harvest a nice buck, i had stayed up a little later than usual debating to hunt in the morning or not. A frost was moving in making the temps drop in the high 20's. When the alarm clock went of at 4 am i was tempted to pull the covers over my head, but instead i said i cant kill a big one sleeping all day. When i got to my tree and mounted my climber and reached my desired height i stopped and looked as the sun slowly emerged and the forest floor came alive, i thought to myself "i was going to sleep in and miss this?" NOT FOR ANY THING! Thats when i knew i enjoyed being in the woods, no kids, no noise but the sound of mother nature...........thats why i enjoy hunting year after year. Learning something everytime i go about my quarry that is why my signature is "ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 PM

Actually, I started hunting deer when I was 5 and didn't kill my first deer until I was 12...I think mostly it was credited to me not being quiet or still enough but my dad and I kept trying...I killed a big doe the first day of shotgun season, my biggest bodied deer to date. My dad and I had her mounted..It was awesome. I'll always remember that one.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before I even read this thread I'll answer for you,my answer is absolutely not ,my reason is that i enjoy every minute in the bush while hunting hiking or fishing and I really enjoy just watching even if I don't get a thing .If you hang in there you'll break that bad streak sooner than later .

nubo

Quick Reply: If you didn't shoot a deer in 1st 7 yrs...would you quit hunting deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.