HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   slugs or buckshot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/65248-slugs-buckshot.html)

20gaugeNate 07-05-2004 11:35 AM

slugs or buckshot

I have a 870 express mag. I dont have a rifled barrel and because im 12 and my parents wont buy me one I cant get one. So what do you think I should get?

TREEDOG 07-05-2004 12:24 PM

RE: slugs or buckshot

Im assuming your deerhunting. You would first need to check your laws and see if buckshot is legal, and what size. Also Id try the slugs just to see how they shoot out of it, who knows eh.

20gaugeNate 07-05-2004 12:42 PM

ok thanks ill check

DearSlayer357 07-05-2004 01:30 PM

Yeah, pattern slugs 1st and go from there.

Duckmastor2 07-05-2004 02:15 PM

IMO someone your age should start out with Buckshot and work your way up. Thats if Buckshot is legal where you hunt. Im 34 and I shoot 00 buck to this day. I've taken over a dozen deer with it. You just need to keep them close. 40 yds tops. I shot a deer last year @ 35yds with my modified barrel and put 4 pellets right in the vitals. The pellets hit in a circle the size of a softball. The deer went 3yds and dropped stone dead.

Like I said, its just an opinion. If you have a place where you can get some good practice in with slugs and are consitantly accurate at the longer distances, go for it! They'll do the job. My father has a slug gun set up and has done quite well.

Good Luck!

20gaugeNate 07-05-2004 05:54 PM

k ill have to go with the slugs cause buckshot is illeagle in MN thanks for your help

TREEDOG 07-05-2004 07:13 PM

Good luck with the slugs, they will slay deer with authority!

Shootem up870 07-05-2004 08:15 PM

you are better off using slugs anyway. good luck this year

Tree climber 07-06-2004 03:53 AM

they make several different types of slugs.get several and see which works best in your gun.

good luck.

nubo 07-06-2004 06:15 AM

First of all considering that it's legal to shoot slug's and 00 Buck ,I think you have to take into consideration on where your hunting .If your hunting in a thick brushy area I would go with 00 Buck but if your hunting mostly in an open area I would go with the slug's .I used to go with a slug up front and 2 00Buck in the rear for this exact reason ,it's easy to dis chamber the slug if your in tight bush and use the 00buck, but if you are walking into an open area your slug is readely available for you. 00Buck work's great in all situation's but is even better in tight area's than slug's are.

nubo