Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone hunted the same buck... >

Anyone hunted the same buck...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone hunted the same buck...

Old 06-20-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Anyone hunted the same buck...

for more than one season? This season will make the 3rd year in a row I've hunted this one particular buck. I missed him the year before last (broad side, 150 yards. Found out later in the day my scope had been bumped way off!) I saw him once last year. He's a big 10 point. I know his range, but this guy is way smart! He didn't get that big for nothing. Any of you guys have the same thing happen to you?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Anyone hunted the same buck...

Just about every buck that I have ever shot, I watched for years waiting for them to fully mature. Last deer season I watched several 150-160"+ bucks but I never shot them because they were either 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 years old. Which 5 1/2 is a good age to harvest them, but I decided to let them go for another year. This upcoming season I've got a pretty good idea of which buck I'm going after, he was 5 1/2 last year and I'm pretty sure that he would have scored in the mid-upper 160's. Now this year, with all the rain and lush habitat, he should be a 6 1/2 year old buck that will be pushing the 180" mark. I cant wait until deer season
Old 06-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I have. 2 seasons ago I got a good shot on this 8 or 13 pt buck (Couldn't make out all points) But I was either 12 or 13 and I got Buck Feaver so Bad I couldn't even pull the Trigger. Makes me mad just to thinka bout it. Didn't see him last year. But this year right know I got tracks and sign that he is still back in your field. I HOPE I GET HIM THIS YEAR> PLEASE PLESE

Trapper_Hunter
Old 06-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-20-2004, 06:40 PM

Txhighrack-- you let 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 old bucks walk and you been watching them for years. What pen are they in. In PA. WV. and OH. where I hunt its unheard of to here of bucks living that old with out being shot. To many hunters deer don't live that old.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Buckslayer1:

Txhighrack-- you let 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 old bucks walk and you been watching them for years. What pen are they in

I hate when people like you make dumb statements like this. "What pen are they in" your joking right??? People in Texas dont suffer from the "if its brown its down" disease, we have will power and in return we have the luxury of passing up dozens of bucks each year. Just because hunting in your area sucks, dosent mean that is the case everywhere. PA, & WV, are ALONG way from here, so dont think that what happens up there also happens down here. Most people down here in S. Texas wont shoot a buck unless they think he is 5 1/2 or older, and alot of the hunters wont shoot a buck unless he scores 150"+. Its called management, and if you didnt shoot everything that moved, you might have hunting that is as good as it is here. I shot 2 bucks last year that were both 7 1/2 years old. You probably didnt even know that bucks lived to be older then 1 1/2, did you??

Buckslayer1:

"where I hunt its unheard of to here of bucks living that old with out being shot."

Well aint that funny. Just because people in PA and WV shoot every thing they see, dosent mean everybody does the same. You dont hunt down here, so you have no right to say what you did. People like you who think they "know everything" and who think that "what happens in my backyard happens everywhere" are the kind of people that make me sick. You like to rush to judgement and post lies that everybody else who visits this site will read. Before you make any more comments or post a reply, please atleast know what you are talking about. Can you atleast do that???
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

TX,
I understand the resentment to that statement, but on the other hand, count your blessings! Not everyone is privileged to have your kind of hunting conditions!
As to the original question, yes, I've got a beautiful 9 pointer on my wall that I hunted for two years!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, there have been a few times when I or someone has shot a big buck and others have seen or known him for a while. To me, that is the exception not the rule. The majority of the deer we have taken, most of us cannot say for certain that we have been watching that particluar deer for years.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:01 AM

I got to scout and hunt a nice 8pt. for the last 2 years. I never saw him and he was eventually killed on the property adjacent to mine. I wish I could have gotten a shot at him but he did teach me a lot about scouting. I found some awsome rubs and a couple of good scrapes he made just before he was killed.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well this will be year #4 of hunting the biggest 6 point I have ever seen, he would be a massive 8 point but he has no browtines. This old boy is smart beyond beleif, he beds in an overgrown POSTED field, I have seen him 3 times and only once when I had a weapon and it was in season, stupid little sapling cost me him. He is getting old now, the guy who owns the place next to the posted field has been seeing him for at least 6 years, so I am sure he is on the down hill side now, I would love to get him no matter what his rack looks like now just to know I outsmarted him.