Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot >

What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot

Old 08-11-2004, 08:01 AM

Default RE: What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot

Reached out and touched an elk at 300 with a .270 win mag. Good guess. My dad had the .300 spitting at him and our guide had a .338 in reserve. He was on a plain with no where to run, so it wasn't like he was going to run away wounded. That's the big thing with long distance shots.

Deer? hmm. 100 yards. Always at my stand where I want them to be

Hog: 175 down hill - offhand. Best shot I ever made. He bolted and I jumped out of the truck and drilled him behind the ear. I could never do that again.

Got a turkey at 100 yards off hand with a .270 once. lucky, I suppose. Ther must have been 20 of them and they took off running, flapping like crazy. I think I hit the one I was aiming at, but who knows? This was when I was young and stupid. Now I'm just old and stupid.

My cousin Carl shot a doe last year at 600 yards. His stand is at the edge of the brush and he and anther guy were driving out to it one afternoon and there were a few deer out. They stopped the jeep, waited for the wind to die down and he let loose. The other guy said he saw the bullet hit a full second after the shot. Right between the eyes. Of course, I wasn't there, so I have to wonder

I'd take a shot up to 300-350. I shooting a 7 Mag right now, soit has the distance. Depends. I am real cautious. A coyote or a hog, I'd let fly. A deer, only if the conditions were perfect and I had a good rest. And then, only a neck shot, I'd hate to get him at that range.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 PM

I Gutshot - not to confirm the old and stupid comment, but I believe shooting Turkey with a rifle is illegal in all 50 states. I would recommend sharing that shot on a public message board.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:47 PM

The longest shot for me was 460 yards with a Browning 7 Mag (140 gr. ballistic tip). The bullet broke both shoulder blades of a doe.

I have had 4 clean kills over 400 yards but I have also missed at 90 yards[:@]

Anything out to 400 yards is about my max. Although I do target shoot at 600 yards but that rifle is set up for that distance. (Remington Varmint special .308)
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farthest for deer was 375 yards one shot clean kill, farthest for elk 225 yards clean shot, farthest for bear was 425 yards clean kill, dropped in her tracks! I feel comfortable taking long shots because I know what my limits are and what the gun can do!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Skyhigh

I Gutshot - not to confirm the old and stupid comment, but I believe shooting Turkey with a rifle is illegal in all 50 states. I would recommend sharing that shot on a public message board.
It is legal in Texas to turkey hunt with rifles, Gutshot has nothing to worry about.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 AM

Talking about long shots and short shots... do you guys feel that a centerfire rifle kills quicker at long range or short range? I'm talking
2800-3000 fps muzzle. My experience is that a good hit (heart/lungs)
kills quicker @ 150-200 yd than @ 50-100 yd. Maybe because the bullets don't have time to expand properly until they slow down a little? I'm
sure body size matters, too. Bullet prob. behaves differently in 90 lb.
doe here in the south as opposed to a 240 lb. Saskatchewan buck.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM

I totally agree with the bullets expanding better at a lower velocity. That's the reason I prefer the ballistic tips for these smaller whitetails in the south. I tried a 210 gr. nosler partition from a .338 on a couple of does and both of them carried the bullets 50 - 60 yards before I found them. The thicker jackets of the partitions just didn't fully expand before causing the appropriate trauma. I've never had a ballistic tip fail on a properly placed shot.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:07 PM

Yessir! Plenty legal in the great state of Texas. I do not even own a shotgun. I follow all the rules and regulations and hunt responsibly, rest assured.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 AM

To Cloudwalker: I deer hunt w/ a .243 and a .308. From some reading I've done I gather that there is a difference between varmint-caliber ballistic tips and heavier stuff. Quoting Win. ammo catalogue:
"In varmint calibers the bullet initiates rapid fragmentation. In hunting calibers the tapered jacket and harder lead core ensure proper bullet expansion." I'm thinking the line would probably drawn between the .243
55 gr. and the .243 95 gr. BT. I actually use the PP Plus for deer in my .243 because of concern with fragmentation and shallow penetration with the .243 BT. Don't use BT in my .308, but maybe I should. Whatta ya think?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

With my 30-30 my longest shot was about 140, and i have taken several deer with it around 120 and 130.

With my 7mm Rem. Mag my longest shot was a little over 200 with open sights, and i took a nice doe with that shot. When i get the scope on this year i definetly wont be afraid to take longer shots than that.

Dave

Quick Reply: What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.