HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   long rang 2-way radios? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/63399-long-rang-2-way-radios.html)

trophy guy 06-11-2004 08:59 PM

long rang 2-way radios?

Am looking into buying some good long range 2-way radios this year... I know there are alot of compact ones made now that will reach in the 7, 8 and even 10 mile range.....anyone reccomend a good brand or model?
thanks

soarkrebel 06-12-2004 06:54 AM

RE: long rang 2-way radios?

I have a set of the frs motorolas that have a max range of two miles. i have been thinking of buying set of the longer range ones . my son is 14 and is my hunting partner and he is getting to where he likes to hunt our 2100 acre ponderosa all over.
i need a set that will reach out much better than the ones i have.

i like the motorola quality but you pay for it. i also noticed that wal mart had audiovox and several other manufacters for sell. the prices aren't cheap but in a way they are worth it if you hunt with someone you would like to be able to keep in touch with.

i know on the gmrs models you are supposed to get a fcc license i believe it costs around $70 dollars. now how many folks do i couldnt tell you. but where mine would be used and the range of the gmrs the fcc would never know.

ICE-MAN 06-13-2004 08:23 PM

if you get them from walmart try them if they dont work take them back
all you tell walmart they dont reach very far

DougMD 06-14-2004 06:35 AM

I got some Motorola GMRS (T6400) from ebay for about $38 after rebate and like them. Look into the 7 mile ones if needed. But they are so new, you might not find someone who owns them to give you feedback...

Jimmy S 06-14-2004 10:36 AM

You can get a number of radios with a range of about 5 miles. Motorola makes a few models as well as other companies. Two (Motorola) radios with charger is the package we bought. We have about 7 radios now and also most of us subscribe to NEXTEL so we use our phones (direct connect) instead.

rwilson 06-14-2004 01:37 PM

Note in the ad the words "depending on terrain." I've tried several brands, mostly 5-milers and none of them came close. If you hunt in hills-and-hollers areas like I do you'll get nowhere near 5 miles. On flat, maybe, but not in rolling areas.

8mm/06 06-14-2004 03:31 PM

rwilson makes a good point
Does anybody have some positive experience with radios that will reach 2-3 miles in rugged, hilly, ridges and valleys and wooded thrown in. Is there such a beast?

Hawgnman 06-15-2004 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

rwilson makes a good point
Does anybody have some positive experience with radios that will reach 2-3 miles in rugged, hilly, ridges and valleys and wooded thrown in. Is there such a beast?
There really is no such beast. The handheld radios are line-of-sight devices, meaning if you can't see the other radio with binos or stronger. The signal will not get to the other radio even a mile away with a radio with a 5 mile range.