Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

a new woods to hunt this fall

Old 05-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default a new woods to hunt this fall

This fall I have a new woods to hunt in. Today I decided to walk though the woods. I found a alot of trails and a few rubs from last fall. I dont know where to hang my stand this fall. I did find a area with two really old tree stands but, the guy that owns this woods said the other guy that hunts this woods has his stands right there. I did find a area that seems like deer would pass. This area looks like it once was cleared away and now has grown up pretty thick. Most of the trees are about 3 inches in diameter. This cleared away area is a fairly good size. I was looking at placeing a stand near a creek that is in front of this cleared area or in back which is pretty far back from the creek. This second area I found a few rubs and some nice trails and is right along a river. I am not sure where to go from here.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:36 AM

Default RE: a new woods to hunt this fall

Go to the terra server website and get an aerial photo of the property. That will really narrow down your places. You'll want to look for natural funnels and bottlenecks. Hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't say how many acres you have to look over. Look for any agriculture croplands that are on contiguous land first. Your local agriculture office or county foresty office should have more up to date aerials than Terra Server, theirs are about 12 years old. A good topo map may help.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think about the prevailing wind direction too. Also, that clearcut growing over could produce well, and it might be that the other guy who hunts there hunts in the same place regardless of changes over the years, meaning he isn't interested in the clearcut area because there weren't deer there back when he used to scout before it was a clearcut....