Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

south east idaho mule deer

Old 05-31-2004, 04:28 PM

Default south east idaho mule deer

ive decided to extend my mule deer season this year by hunting an additonal state.can anybody help me ive never been to this part of idaho.
1. is there a lot of public land
2. how is the hunting pressure
3. is there places a guy could hike into with little pressure and a better chance at a mature buck
Old 06-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: south east idaho mule deer

What weapon are you planing to hunt with? There is some private land, but most of it is public land. If you are willing to hike in 2 miles or more then you should be by yourself, and have a great chance at a mature buck. There are tons of places to hike in, it just depends on where you want to hunt? South East Idaho is a huge area, so pick a unit that you want to hunt and start from there. I am planning to hunt Utah this fall with a bow, my friend is from South Jordan. He might hunt with me, it depends on his wife, she is due in the fall with their first child. I'm born and raised in Idaho Falls and have hunted a lot of south east Idaho. I also hunt central Idaho for elk, but there are some huge mule deer there! In the past 15 years my hunting party (family/friends) have killed 4 bucks 29" or over, (two were over 30") in central Idaho. One was with a bow the rest rifle. My biggest to date is 27" with rifle. If you want we could talk, and mabe give each other some advice on where to hunt? Feel free to send me a E-mail at [email protected]
Thanks.
P.S. Where do you live?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:53 PM

What area are you hunting in Utah for idahoelkinstructor?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure just yet, my friend from South Jordan took me, last winter, to an area somewhere in between SLC and Park City. It's private land (he has permission) and it's bordered by public land. We saw several nice bucks and I can hunt there provided he's with me. I'm not sure what unit it is in, but it's on the Wasatch front. From my friend's info it's an over the counter general archery tag that goes from late August to the end of December. If you have any information or leads on a good area that I could bowhunt this fall, it would be much appreciated. In return if you want to hunt Idaho in the future I would be willing to point you to some good areas as well.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:35 PM

Well you seem to either be in the North unit or North East. If it is archery it is statewide. If you are willing to drive some of the best deer hunting in Utah is in the south. The Archery in November/December is the extended season and one of the places is on the ridge five minutes from my house.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am planning to hunt in november, december after the elk seasons is over in Idaho. J3k2c1 if that is an invitation I'm there! If it would be ok with you, I would like to E-mail you, or you can E-Mail to find out more info about "the ridge above your house". Also we could talk on the phone if you prefer. If you ever want to hunt elk in Idaho, let me know and I could set it up. Thanks Idahoelk
Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 PM

Default where i hunt in idaho

i agree .. for elk you want central idaho.. i like challis, stanley , or elk city areas..
all near the frank church wilderness area....for deer....i like unit 73 which is the malad city area just north of tremonton utah,,, ill email you a pic of a 5x8 non typical mulie i killed in unit 73..
Old 06-28-2004, 05:05 PM

Default RE: where i hunt in idaho

Anybody got any specific areas for open hunts in Idaho they've had success in? I've headed up to Fairfield to the last few years but didn't see anything but loggers. I'm open to ANY open areas- wouldn't mind trying southeast Idaho.