Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about deer antlers?

Old 01-05-2002, 08:34 PM

Default question about deer antlers?

Can anyone tell me why in New Jersey in the month of January there are still bucks with velvet on their antlers? The deer are perfectly healthy heavy 8 point bucks.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question about deer antlers?

I have never heard of such a thing ,but anything is possible ,You should try for a pic ,if you could . Welcome to the board .
Old 01-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I've never heard of anything like that either. Is this just one buck or several? I would call the wildlife biologist for your area, if anyone would know it would probably be him. Let us know what you find out. Welcome to the board!

TB
Old 01-06-2002, 03:50 PM

loneleyBuckeye,If you are talking about only a couple of deer it could be they got castrated. Sometimes this happens while jumping a barbwire fence.If they were in velvet at the time it happens they will keep the rack and it will stay in velvet.I went to an outdoor show here in Pa a few years ago and they had deer heads on display and one from ohio was shot in velvet also.I hunt ohio so I knew by hunting season the velvet was off the deer.I ask the gentlemen who had the racks how that was possible and he said the buck got castrated while in velvet so he carried it to the hunting season.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:22 PM

[Thanks for responding, it seems that BuckHunter3's reply makes most sense. I have only seen two deer like this in my 15 years of hunting and both of them were this year. If I could get a pic I will. Thanks again!]
I have never heard of such a thing ,but anything is possible ,You should try for a pic ,if you could . Welcome to the board .
[/quote]