Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do special socks really make a difference in cold? >

Do special socks really make a difference in cold?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do special socks really make a difference in cold?

Old 05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do special socks really make a difference in cold?

I have a pair of size 11 boots that are bulky to handle the amount of insulation in them. However, my feet still get cold when the temperature falls below 30 degrees. Since they are big, they won't fit into the boot blankets or arctic shields that are sold, which only come in XL, not XXL. So my question is whether the $12 or $15 per pair of socks really keep feet warm compared with the cheaper ones. I realize the big benefit is wicking away moisture, etc. but when my feet get cold, I don't believe it is because they are wet. Rather, it is because it is cold outside! If those socks really do a good job keeping feet warm, that would be much easier and less expensive than buying a new pair of boots and arctic shields. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do special socks really make a difference in cold?

A good pair of wool socks are hard to beat when it is cold. The wicking away is not only water but sweat. If you walk a good ways working up a sweat, the wool wicks the moisture away from your feet. If it didnt your feet would be moist and soon be cold. I learned a few years ago hunting elk in Colorado that when I was sitting out on a bluff or even in a stand that if I didnt put my feet on the ground my feet never got cold. If I put my pack on the ground then put my feet on it I stayed much warmer. Along with wearing a silk scarf tied around my neck really kept me warm.. You would be amazed how keeping your neck covered keeps your whole body warm.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do not wear cotton socks-they hold the moisture.Get a good pair of polypropylene socks(they'll wick the moisture away from your feet) then put a good wool sock over-I like Merino wool socks.If your boot fits snug,that could also make your feet cold-try a 1/2 size bigger.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what jimpic said!!

When you have your boots, socks and sock liners on you should still be able to wiggle your toes and not feel the end of the boot! If you can do this your boots are the right size, if not you need a bigger pair or thinner sock! Equally when you lace up a pair of boots don't do it to tight, circulation is a big key. In my case more insulation is not better it just cases my feet to sweat more, so i pick boots with no higher than 800 grams of insulation. Since my feet sweat I must also make sure to dry boots thoroughly overnight, I use a boot drier which are a relatively cheap investment to comfort.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:32 AM

Yes , Yes & Yes ......bought a $16 pair of wigwam socks that had some sort of nobel prize winning fabric on the inside. My socks are usually soaked at the end of the day. Wore these with Lacrosse Ice Kings and my feet were dry as a bone. Sweat goes into another layer or something.....spend the money when it comes to your feet !
Old 05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Thats dead true Skeeter! I found as I added more socks this year, my feet got colder. I now use a liner sock out of poly or some wicking away material, and a heavier sock over top. I will however try some of those electric socks this season when it gets -20 and I'm sitting. JDinAB
Old 05-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a pair of Ultra-max socks from Cabela's. They are a wool-poly blend and are very good fitting socks, they don't wad up in my boot, or make my boot too tight. They have made my hunting much more pleasurable over the past two seasons.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

first off...i don't care what anyone says, but if its real cold its not going to matter what you wera on your feet, being just sitting there, the cold is gonna get to your feet anyway.

But.......

I have a pair of Sorels, and all I wear with them is a pair of Wet socks like the divers wear. Man in 2 years of wearing these socks, my feet have never gotten cold. Best thing I have found yet.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

One more thing to try, get a can of Right Guard Anti-Perspirant (or another brand of anti-perspirant) and spray your feet before you put on your socks. It will make a lot of difference.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

First things first
You will need good socks, and a good liner can help big-time, Good boots that fit with a little wiggle room, loosen the laces when on stand to allow more circulation..
If the wind is howling then use a boot blanket or create your own with dry leaves and or boughs, but this can create excess noise
If your core stays toasty your extremeties won't be sacrificed...the best cure for cold feet, other than whats been listed immediately above, is a great hat and a neck gaiter...as others have previously alluded to.
ALSO...if your on stand on the ground...KEEP YOUR FEET JUST A LITTLE OFF THE COLD GROUND....setting them on top of a 2 X 6 or a pallet or even a cardboard box can make a wolrd of difference..the ground becomes a heat sink to your boots/body

Quick Reply: Do special socks really make a difference in cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.