Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To decoy...or not to decoy??

Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 AM

Default To decoy...or not to decoy??

Not to jump of of season here, as I am well-aware some of you are out chasing those long beards, but I am in the midst of planning and strategizing my Fall hunting activities, and wonder how many of you bowhunt & use a decoy.

If you do, please post some of your experiences pro/con of using them. I am thinking about purchasing one...yes, the latest Cabela's Archery catalog arrived yesterday, and I saw a nice one in there!!

Cman
Old 05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To decoy...or not to decoy??

Tried one once-had horrible results-wound up burning it in our fire pit.Won't use them again.JMHO
Old 05-07-2004, 09:59 AM

Interesting topic for sure. I've wanted to start using one during the "right" period of time, because of the sucess people have had. I also want to hear the horror stories. What do you use...what part of the season....what posture....doe/buck...feeding/alert...tail up or down...looking at the trail the deer normally use or looking away??? Any guys that have used one could tell us. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have a couple of the 2-D Photo realistic decoys made by Renzos(?) that I had good success with during the rut. I bought 1 buck and 1 doe. This year I am going to buy another doe for my "herd". I set-up on the edge of a bedding area to try and draw out the big bucks. I had deer everywhere but I think I should have left the buck out of the mix as it seemed to attract all the does.[]
These decoys are easy to pack in as I attach them to the back of my Lone Wolf stand w/ bungee cords; no extra weight and easy to set up.
I am definitely using tham again and definitely getting another doe.
Good Luck
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I bought on a few years ago and haven't had any real positive stories or negative ones for that matter. Could be because I don't use it that much. A couple thoughts:
- What type of land can you hunt...I hunt the big woods and think about how you will transport it. One of the roll up options would be a good bet if you have a long walk in.
- If you have a place you can stash it without fear of lossing it or have easy in/easy out - the plastic ones are pretty nice.
- I wish I would have had it on some of my pre-rutt hunts, when those bucks are cruising for does. I really think that If I would have had one on a few of my hunts last year I could have had a better chance getting one to come in a bit closer.
- It might be not work all the time but I believe, the right place and the right time.
- It's fun to play with.
If your serious about buying - e-mail me, I just put mine up in my loft last night - I might sell it and buy one of those roll up kind. It just doesn't fit into were I hunt and how far my hike is. Treestand, bow, cold weather gear and decoy = too much stuff for me to lug around.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 AM

I'm considering their use because I'm able to hunt the rut with a bow here in CT, but a decoy can only be used in the pre-rut and very late post-rut seasons. And last year I called in a buck on two separate hunts and they hung up out of bowrange. I was told the only thing that might have brought those deer in was a decoy. I was using Tink's scent bombs around my tree but these bucks weren't committing unless they "saw" something.

I'm hunting private land and my idea is to dis-assemble and hang the decoy in its bag up in the tree next to my treestand. Otherwise, on the ground next to the tree in a mesh bag.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

my idea is to dis-assemble and hang the decoy in its bag up in the tree next to my treestand. Otherwise, on the ground next to the tree in a mesh bag.
You might have better luck with it if you actually assemble it and set it where the deer can see it!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Bucks, Does & both in set ups. In almost every instance I have had bad results. I have talked to persons that make the decoys & have done everything by the book according to Decoy manufactures. I have had as high as 4 bucks in one day SPOOK at the sight of my decoy & also sevearl does on a different occassion. I have had success with 1 kill (average-small buck) using a feeding doe & a small antlered buck decoy together. I have had THREE trophy class Bucks stop immediatly upon seeing the decoy & turn around and walk away. 1 was a buck decoy & 2 were doe decoys in the Ready position. I still plan on TRYING Decoys this year but I have yet to have any true success in my estimation. If it happens-I will have it on film as we film everything. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the response ahunter55. It sounds like I'll be able to save some cash by NOT buying a decoy after all. I'd kick myself in the arse if the 1st time I tried a decoy and a big boy steps out and runs the other way because of it.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ahunter55,that's exactly what happened to me.This thing spooked every deer that came by-buck & doe.

Quick Reply: To decoy...or not to decoy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.