Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scents?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have not had much success with cover scents. I've used raccoon an fox (will not use skunk) killed some deer sometimes didn't. I have used an like scent killer fall blend an I take a scent killer soap shower and wash my hunting clothes in it. The clothes either stay in the truck or outside as much as possible.

I still hunt the wind, very important, of anything you do. IMO

Last season I started using a HECs suit. I wasn't sure it would work, but deer seemed confused when they looked at me on the ground and didn't get alarmed. I tagged out (5 deer) last season all taken on the ground. Still not 100% it works as I was watching the wind too on top of the scent killer. I will be using it from now on tho...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I always thought that if you use skunk urine that's I sign of danger. Only time a skunk.
Sprays is when it feels threatened. That's just my thought on it. I have had good luck with doe in heat lures bucks come in with nose up and lips currled to they get the scent I place it in the tink bombs so it's hanging on trees on directly on the ground. Only had luck with it in the peek of the rut. So again it's hit or miss. I have herd people had good luck with elk in heat lure for deer. The only lure I use is tinks, my dad personally knows Tink Nathan so that my be why we use it but that's all I ever used. As of cover sent I have used it and killed deer, but most of time I do not use it and are just as lucky.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you really stop and think about it the concept is really just silly.

A deers nose is designed to pick danger up in an environment with all kinds of natural scents.....that is what they do.

If acorns,dirt,leaves,cedars urine etc. tricked their nose they would be in big trouble because they live with all those things daily.

If the real acorns all over the woods don't mask your scent some artificial acorn scent on your shirt probably won't either.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Any one know were i can get some skunk smell.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RWK
Any one know were i can get some skunk smell.
The hard way, or the easy way?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daveco
The hard way, or the easy way?

Gee thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Spike

I have designed a new scent dispenser. I need help coming up with a name for it. Any suggestions???
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never used any of it. I have had deer come to within 5 feet of me trying to figure out what I was. Same with antelope. Just another money grab IMO.