Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what  you wear  out in the woods while hunting >

what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Where I hunt in northern Indiana it can get a bit cold while hunting. What I wear is a shirt and jean, long selve shirt, coveralls, and insulated coveralls. I still get cold what can i wear to keep warm that is fairly cheap.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what you wear out in the woods while hunting

start from the inside and dress out. i start with insulated underwear, good brand from cabaleas, heavy wool socks. wool pants, wool shirt, insulated vest, then insulated coveralls. i also have pockets sewn into the back of my coverall at each kidney location and i put one of those chemical handwarmers in each pocket, helps to keep the back warm also. then i have a insulated hat, most of your heat goes out your head. add mittens or good gloves and you should be sleeping in no time. i also carry a thermos with coffee or another hot drink. hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Keeping the blood vessels that run up the back of your neck warm can help , along with warming your kidneys as Lee suggested . Cold feet will make the rest of you feel cold no matter what else you're wearing , keep your boots loosely laced and wear socks that insulate well and wick away sweat like polypropolene or wool . Do not wear cotton socks , they stay wet and don't insulate well .
Old 04-14-2004, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

According to an outdoor winter survival course I took years ago, the key to staying warm is layers and not getting sweaty. I have about a 1/2 mile walk into my stand. To avoid getting too sweaty, I pack most of my warm clothes in a backpack and walk in with minimal clothing; then get dressed in warm clothes at my stand. My outer coveralls are also uninsulated so I can wear them in any weather.

Another thing I discovered quite a few years ago: I used to wear Sorrels (spelling?) and my feet used to get cold quite a bit. Now I wear 2 pair warm socks, a pair of tennis shoes, and a pair of the old style uninsulated rubber buckle boots. Since I started doing this, I have not had cold feet. I discovered this the year I forgot my Sorrels.

For gloves, I've found a wool liner with a leather shell works best. And, yes, a warm hat is a must. It's also the first thing to take off if you start getting too warm.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM

I am a big bowhunter in Wisconsin. And i know exactly what you mean. I have learned that bowhunting is something that will you require you to be cold much of the season, sometimes too cold. As long as you don't sweat, and keep your armpits, groin, head, ears, hands, and feet warm. Those are the vital areas that give off the most heat. For me there's not much i can do without possibly ruining a shot at a deer with my bow, so i go out knowing i'm going to freeze my but off. I also found that the more awake you are, the better you are. The less energy you are using to stay awake, the more energy your body can use to produce heat.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 PM

As has been stated layers. For loafing around in a stand coveralls as thick as a sleeping bag a great. For getting to that same stand those same coveralls suck because you will sweat.

Sweating is bad. Avoid at all cost.

Layers are good because you can regulate your temp.

Now this may seem strange but I leraned it in the mountains of Germany, Pantyhose can be your friend. They are deffinitly agravating but they provide an excellent air layer next to your skin due to their open weave.

Wool. Wool does not loose its insulating properties when wet.

Natural fabrics like cotton breath better than man made. Sometimes you want this and sometimes you dont.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same here. Layering and some chemical hand warmers.

Base layer- fleece or polypro underwear
Insulating layer- fleece or wool
Outer layer- Fleece, thinsulate lined Goretex or Equivalent
Old 04-16-2004, 02:04 PM

A real big smile for I know how lucky I am to be here to enjoy this stuff. A bad day in the wood beats any day in the office.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I start with good long underwear. Without them, I can't get enough cloths on. Warm boots, Jeans. Long sleeve T shirt. Hooded sweat shirt and the hunting vest. I don't do much setting still outside. I drive out just about to my Ambush spots early in the morning then again in the evening. I don't hunt much during the day as the deer move down in the deep cedar canyons during the day. When they do you don't see them and the bed down until late afternoon. If I did shoot one down in those deep draws, I would never get it out without some help. I have enough rope to reach about 1000 feet but its still a heck of a job. Best wait until they come up on top. Most of the draws are to steep to walk on if we have snow or ice. I like to put up a ground blind or make a blind from hay bales and stop just over the rise from my blind. I don't often get more than a couple hundred yards from the jeep while deer hunting in my unit.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would depend on the weather I was going to be hunting in . I have hunted in sub zero weather in the north and 100 degree + in the desert .

Quick Reply: what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.