HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/57967-how-can-you-consider-rifle-hunting-true-hunting.html)

Legacy357 04-05-2004 03:43 PM

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

I decided to stir up the pot a little bit and start this thread. Now you need to remember that i started out rifle hunting at age 15 and i still do rifle hunt but only about 5% of the times that i go hunting. Bowhunting is an art where one has to learn what the deer are doing, where they are going to be and then get them close enough to kill. Personally i have shot 8 deer in the last 4 years and 3 were with a rifle and 5 with my bow. I get mad at all the people who think they are hunters when they go out 3 or 4 times per year with their rifle and kill something. Any joe blow can grab a rifle and might get lucky and shoot a 13 point on the first day of rifle season. How can you call that hunting? how do you out smart the deer by putting on a drive and shooting one? i don't think rifle hunters can consider themselves hunters but more like deer thinners. just my opinion

Russ otten 04-05-2004 03:52 PM

RE: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

To each his own.

Russ

Rickmur 04-05-2004 04:33 PM

Oh boy, I can see this one is going to have to be watched.

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-05-2004 04:43 PM

TOO EACH THERE OWN!!!!

RET3006 04-05-2004 04:55 PM

I use both a Bow and a Rifle. If you feel that way about hunting with a Rifle then why do you use one at all. I dont think it really matters what you use as long as its legal. Some people could make the point that Bowing hunting is not as hard today because the Technology has progressed so far with Bows. I agree with the others.To each his own.:)

Legacy357 04-05-2004 05:11 PM

i look at it this way. i would go with my bow in rifle season as well. i mostly go just to get out hunting with my dad and our hunting buddies. But take this year, the spot that i sat at for rifle season, at 7:45 i had a barely legal buck come by at 15 yards, never even saw me. I scoped him a few times and decided to let him live. It got to the point where the shot was going to take less than a second and that it was going to be work to get him out then the excitement would have been. Not even 15 minutes after the buck left, i had 7 doe standing less than 20 yards away. Once again, i though it would have been too easy to just pull the trigger. With my bow, it would have been a lot more fun and i might have considered shooting any of the deer but with a rifle it would have been way to easy. How can that be hunting? (i wasn't in a stand either, i was on the ground) its more like shooting fish in a barrel

mr4pt 04-05-2004 05:14 PM

Anyone who shoots a deer with a gun in not a hunter

My bow is better than your bow
Mechanical broadheads rule
Remington 870 is the best shotgun
Baiting is for loosers
You shouldn't shoot does
Let small bucks walk
ASAT is the best camo on the market
Scentlok suites are just a marketing ploy

Yep, that should cover it...

mr4pt 04-05-2004 05:21 PM

..oh yeah, and neck shots should be outlawed;)

Hiawatha 04-05-2004 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Legacy357

i don't think rifle hunters can consider themselves hunters but more like deer thinners.
I wouldn't go as far as this. Road hunters (guys who drive around in their truck get out and shoot) are not classified as hunters. However rifle hunters are hunters. For my rifle hunts i spend my summers scouting, improving my stands, finding new areas etc. Its not just quite as easy as you make it seem. I don't just go out there and shoot the first buck that comes within range. I like to be pretty selective and it is often very difficult to find what you are looking for. I am also a bowhunter and really enjoy that also however I do not consider myself to be anymore of a hunter because sometimes it is easier than rifle hunting. For instance the archery elk season here is at a much better time than the rifle season. The elk are not being pressured and are bugling great. I worked alot harder for my bull in 2002 with my rifle than I had to in 2003 with my bow. I love both methods but I don't think you can assume bowhunters are more knowledgable and overall better hunters. JMO

timbercruiser 04-05-2004 06:20 PM

Yeah, you're telling them..........I'm assuming you hunt with a 100% homemade bow and arrow, none of this store bought razor heads and compound bow crap...........Then again the only FAIR way to take a deer is to stand behind a tree, nekkid, unarmed, and jump on the deer's back when it passes by and break its neck.................