Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting? >

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

First of all I have little respect for folks that want to bash other hunters for their style of hunting. We all share a common bond and rockin' the boat does little to unite us. That being said, I will put my .02 and answer this thread. It seems that those who ask questions like this have one thing in common.....they hunt in areas that hold a hellova lot of deer. They have the luxury of seeing deer all the time and can be selective in what they shoot. I do not want to sound like a martyr because I hunt in places that hold relatively low deer numbers (less than 10 deer / square mile) but I doubt a thread like this would ever be started by someone hunting in New England, sprcifically NH. Our success rate is less than 5% for bow hunters. That's one deer every 20 years. I have all the respect in the world for my buddies that are exclusive bow hunters that get their deer almost every year. I said almost because I know of no one that has tagged a deer each year with a bow for 10 yrs. running. These guys are GOOD, so with that in mind, I invite Legacy to spend some time hunting in a state with the lowest success rate. Can his tag be punched hunting in areas where you can go days without ever seeing a deer?...Of course, but I have my doubts. That bow would be put down real quick for a firearm if venison was main objective. He would be like a lot of other folks I have met over the years that hunt NH for the first time. They leave the woods shaking their heads....
Old 04-06-2004, 09:29 AM

I'll remember I'm not a real hunter next time I am sitting out in a down pour (not in a tree stand or hunting blind, on the ground) in a thunderstorm in 36 degree weather with my rifle. Then I'll remember the stalk and the shot I made on my buck this last season in those conditions, then I'll walk into my reloading room, look at my mount and know anyone who thinks like Legacy is an idiot.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=586368
Old 04-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Still open after 2 pages. Without reading the replies, I guess people have been civil.

My only comment is that I've learned from these boards that it really doesn't matter the weapon, hunting is hunting and needs defended from those trying to take it away. Also, that in many other states, getting a deer with a rifle, may be quite a bit more challenging than taking one with a bow in really highly populated deer areas.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Legacy357...thanks for providing lots of fuel for anti-hunters
Old 04-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is all in how you hunt, not what with.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really can't believe that the moderators even let this one get going.
IMO, Legacy has/will have no credibility on this board.
Like he said, all he wanted to do was to "stir" things up and he made an a** of himself while doing it. (i am sorry for breaking the rules)
Try hunting the Adirondacks (with a rifle) and say that that isn't hunting.
Just like someone said before - it's how you do it, not what you do it with.

United we stand, divided we're idiots!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think anyone will get pissed if I lock this up and let it float to the back pages. I thank everyone for being civil but the thread is IMO in violation of rule 4, especially the first sentence of it.

4. No topics and/or statements which could be used to reflect poorly on hunting, archery or firearms. Anti-hunting and other posts indicating a stance against the hunting, archery and firearm industry will be removed