Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe? >

Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

We have all heard the expression that the big old buck didn't get that way by being stupid......Is he really wiser than the adult doe that is constantly on the alert with her maternal instinct? It seems that he will throw caution to the wind during the rut and at times let his guard down, but adult does, especially with younger deer, is less prone to this. Any thoughts....My vote goes to her!
Old 04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

For a few days a year I will buy that but overall the buck is better. It's basic biology. He is the one who is responsible to spread his genes and grow the population. His whole existence is based on this and therefore he MUST survive to find those hot does at some point in the year. A doe is a protector of her young but otherwise she just goes about life until at one point during the year she "allows" that buck to spread his love.

You find well used Doe trails out in the open, through the thinner bush all the time. A big buck hunter always says look off the main trails in the thicker cover for the secondary, mature buck, trail.

Ever notice the term swamp buck refers to that big bruiser who hides out in the nasty wet stuff where no one wants to go. Never heard of the guy who shot the big swamp doe after treking back into an area "where no man has gone before"

Sounds like bucks are more cautious and hence tougher when you look at that way.

My $ .02
Old 04-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The buck wins the "smarts" test hands down. A doe is predictable and follows a more obvious routine. Same does visit the grass patches every day. Bucks are a lot more wary than the doe and rarely visits feed lots during daylight hours. Even during the rut he may have moments that he lets his guard down , he is still more reluctant to be where the hunter is than the doe.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:48 PM

I would vote for the adult doe.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:12 PM

A mature buck is harder to kill due to being extremely wary. The old doe is fairly predictable and travels during daylight hours much more than the buck. In my experience, once you get a mature buck in bow range managing the kill is fairly easy. They never seem to be really wary, the old doe on the other hand will walk through the woods looking up!!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

TOUGH QUESTION THIS ONE IS.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THE BUCK, BUT THEN AGAIN WHO TAUGHT THAT BUCK? MOMMY DID. WITH THAT SAID I STILL CAN'T SAY WHOS SMARTER
Old 04-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I vote for the OLD MATURE DOE over the mature buck. The buck will go nocturnal until the rut, then he is sort of stupid. The doe has to keep moving hunting for food for her and her offspring all the time constantly on alert. I have been busted many times by an old doe, not that often by a buck.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:51 PM

I must say an adult doe. Have seen it many times.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

have to say the doe been busted by that old doe more than a few times
Old 04-05-2004, 08:57 PM

i think during rut time all of them and none of them are smarter. otherwise i think that both are smart in different ways.

Quick Reply: Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.