Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Hunts.......

Old 03-23-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Shed Hunts.......

Hey folks i was talkin to my taxidermist last night and he was telling me about folks that would pay to come to saskatchewan on a guided shed hunt. Set them up with lodging, meals etc and take them out shed hunting for a few days. Now do you guys think there would be any real market for this kind of business?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Shed Hunts.......

I don't see why not. Especially if the sheds were still attached to the deer's head and people could hunt them. That would be a brilliant idea! Do you need a business partner?

Seriously though... I personally don't see how people would pay to do that. Then again, there's a sucker in every bunch!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a real market for it. Do a search, you'll find a few shed antler outfitters in your area.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:13 AM

I'd like to know where people get all this $$. To go and pay someone to look for sheds? LOL Now I know I'm doing something wrong. I have to save up for 3 months just to be a $80 stand. Pleas help!! I need more $$. LOL
Old 03-24-2004, 08:35 AM

I would rather shed hunt a fenced ranch than hunt one.

If it was reasonable in cost - I could see how it would be fun.

Wouldn't mind tripping over a few boonies
Old 03-24-2004, 10:50 AM

i have never whent looking for there sheds when do they loose them and how long will they stay there
Old 03-24-2004, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

I don't see why not. Especially if the sheds were still attached to the deer's head and people could hunt them. That would be a brilliant idea! Do you need a business partner?
I tried getting my own deer outfitting business but it is impossible. To make a long story short the only way i can get into outfitting here is to buy out an existing outfitter so Jimbo if you have 250 000 kickin around sure i am lookin for a partner lol.... Big Dman deer here lose their antlers from the end of december to the end of march. The sheds don't really go anyplace unless somebody picks them up or else porcupines and squirels chew them up. Typically i don't do much shed hunting until most of the snow here is melted around mid april. I have already found over 20 sheds this year just by walking around are farm and bale stacks. We plow the snow out around our farm and bale stack so the sheds will be visible. The sheds i have found so far have all been within 400 yards of the house, but once the snow melts a bit i hope to get up into the 50's at least. Last year i picked up 19 sheds off of 1 quarter of land so the bucks are here. Rack attack as for the cost of the hunts they would be pretty affordable. I would not be looking to get rich off of this idea but it would maybe make my truck payment for me each year. I look at it as more of a hobby to meet new people and take them out and show them the territory here and who knows maybe find a few monster sheds. Hopefully i can get some pics of my sheds and post them up on here.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 PM

To make a long story short the only way i can get into outfitting here is to buy out an existing outfitter so Jimbo if you have 250 000 kickin around sure i am lookin for a partner lol....
Darnit Hiawatha, if you had only asked me before my wife and I went shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond this morning. LOL I had $250,000 this morning but the new bath mats and pot holders put me well below that amount. It might just take me another lifetime to save up that much again! []