HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Burning is our best mgt tool; burn days pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/55917-burning-our-best-mgt-tool-burn-days-pics.html)

SpringHillFarms 03-14-2004 08:26 PM

Burning is our best mgt tool; burn days pics

Each March I look forward to "Burn Day". Of all the things I do throughout the year to manage my farm to make it the best it can be, no doubt the impact of Burn Day is by far the most profound and beneficial to wild game of every variety. Burning kills the small unwanted hardwoods that would take over if left attended, it clears the forest floor for grasses and other food sources, and it reduces the chances of a destructive forest fire by reducing the amout of fuel on the ground that can make a hot summer's fire get out of control.
Anyway, I took a few pics last Friday and thought some of them turned out good. As you'll see, some of the fires were burning well into the night. Hope you enjoy them!

Rack-attack 03-14-2004 08:39 PM

RE: Burning is our best mgt tool; burn days pics

Cool pics,

legal arsin...LOL..must be fun:)

Fires are great for new growth and deer do love em.

Good Luck

SpringHillFarms 03-14-2004 08:59 PM

It is fun, especially if you have any sort of pyromanic twist in your personality! [8D]
One thing that was interesting is that Saturday morning when I was out riding around to make sure that only my little portion of the state of had been consumed, I saw deer that were already back into the areas that had been burned. I have a fair amout of young planted pines that I don't burn, as well as portions that I rotate out of my burn cycles for the benefit of quail nesting, but it's still interesting to see how quickly the deer and such move back into the burned areas.

PAHUNTER21 03-14-2004 09:46 PM

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing. Controlled burns are a great idea to keep the undergrowth in check as well as provide the nutrients back into the soil. Way to be proactive!

timbercruiser 03-15-2004 07:33 AM

Use to a lot of the landowners and paper companies burned regularly, but with the increased charge per acre for licensed-insured people to burn and the increased liability for smoke related vehicle accidents as well as the occasional fire that gets away on other people's property the amount of acerage burned around here is very low. I had a client that wanted to burn about 5,000 acres this year and when I told him that it would run about $8.50 per acre he axed the plan. It is by far the cheapest hardwood control and timber management tools you can have. Instead we have a forest full of low grade, thick hardwoods and underbrush with a thick layer of straw and weeds that are a ticking timebomb of a wildfire waiting to happen.

PABowhntr 03-15-2004 10:04 AM

Those are some beautiful pics. I have no clue when it comes to this type of land management but how would a controlled burn compare to just clearcutting an area?

Allen Denton 03-15-2004 10:40 AM

Those are great pictures, I bet it would be neat to be apart of it. I have seen land owners do it but have never taken part in a burn.

SpringHillFarms 03-15-2004 11:39 AM

Controlled burning vs clear cutting

PaBowhuntr,
With controlled burning you don't hurt the larger trees that you like and want while clear cutting wipes them out completely. Big difference! ;)

Hiawatha 03-15-2004 12:15 PM

RE: Controlled burning vs clear cutting

great pics, i wish the governement here would consider doing some contolled burning in our area, the provincial park here looks pretty dead and could use a little boost from a burning.

Buckfever1613 03-15-2004 01:10 PM

RE: Controlled burning vs clear cutting

Hey SpringHillFarms what part of Georgia are you from i am also fromGa and just wanted to know