HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What does everyone think of crossbows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/55144-what-does-everyone-think-crossbows.html)

deerslayer223 03-06-2004 11:11 AM

What does everyone think of crossbows?

Here in Pa it is legal for disabled people to use a crossbow if they have the proper permit. I have the permit and use my crossbow. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the crossbow in the deer hunting community? Do u like it's presence? The crossbow is a slight but very moderate advantage. Well fill me in on what you all think. I personally have no problem with the x-bow lol i must not cuz i carry one every fall. Hasn't let me down yet, got me a nice 6pt 2 years ago.

9th tine 03-06-2004 03:02 PM

RE: What does everyone think of crossbows?

I myself have not used one,They are legal to use during rifle season here.
But someone like yourself with the proper permit can use it during archery season.
My Brother being such a person,He was injured seriously in a auto Acccident,Doesn't have full use of his left arm.
So I am all for them it let's a person such as yourself and my Brother get out and enjoy the hunting aspect that other wise was taken from them.
Well that's my Two cent's

usens 03-06-2004 03:19 PM

:):) hey i think thats great if u love to get out and enjoy the woods its a plus in my books

JagMagMan 03-06-2004 05:27 PM

For the disabled or used during open gun season, they are OK! Otherwise, no!

Tree climber 03-06-2004 05:29 PM

I myslef am disabled to the point if I didn't have the permit and could use my x-bow,I would not be able to get into the woods with a bow.

I say if it is legal and you go about you hunt legal,then I say it it great that a person can get out and hunt .

there are a lot that doesn't see it that way,and want to nock the xbow and the disabled hunter.we have enough problems with peta and othere,we don't need problems from other hunters.

I say if it is legal,then it shouldn't matter to other hunters. JMHO[8D]:D

timbercruiser 03-06-2004 06:58 PM

I don't see why people have this great disapproval idea about the crossbow. They are very deadly, if used in their range, which i believe is probably shorter range than a compound bow. I don't see why they aren't legal during bow season for everybody. Frankly the term 'primitive weapon' is overused in my opinion.

Washington Hunter 03-06-2004 08:16 PM

How many times are we going to have this discussion? How about we place THIS on as a 'Top' thread so we don't see them over and over and over again like we have been?

SwampTHING 03-07-2004 12:47 AM

Theyre legal here during archery season for anyone with a deer licence. Half the guys I know that archery hunt use x-bows,, they dont kill anymore deer than the compound shooters.

Its tough hunting here with any type of archery equipment or firearm for that matter. If someone kills a deer with any type of bow or gun every year in this province(im not talking a good buck, but any deer), they are da^& good deer hunter PERIOD!

I kid you not,, I know of about 15 guys that deer hunt hardcore( most everyday of 2 different weeks of gun hunting a year, and 15-20 sits each for archery) yep usually very tag available gets filled between us (we are allowed to party hunt on our 1 deer tag a year). but alot of times 1 guy will go on a run and take 3 or 4 in 2 days of gun hunting. We dont quarrel about it, we throw the proper tag on it and get hunting again,, we have to work to fill our freezers. If its legal use it!

Brampton Mike 03-07-2004 04:54 AM

;) Well they are legal to use here in Ontario & I have an Excalibur Exocet & I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Brampton Mike [8D]

doughboysigep 03-07-2004 07:08 AM

here's my take:

- they are not legal in NY, therefore should not be used
- they are legal for handicapped hunters and I feel that is a good thing (allows them to still hunt, etc.)
- would not have a problem if they were deemd legal, but I think they should make a separate season (say a week or 2 during regular archery and/or maybe a week at the end of the season - or something to that effect) AND have a separte license fee for that weapon - this would allow those that wanted to use a crossbow and generate some more funding for the state conservation fund