Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer rifle caliber

Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer rifle caliber

pointer, there is no need to go get a new rifle for elk with the 280! Match the bullet to the task and it is up to the duty. The 280 is great round, it's only shortfall is over the counter buyers for ammo but at that even there are ones available like: nosler parts(federal line), win failsafe, etc. My hunting partner uses the 280 for deer, elk and moose with no complaints. In fact any of the ones you mentioned will work on an elk hunt or two, like I said match your bullets and limitations/expectations to the game your chasing you'll be just fine.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pointer, the .280 is an excellent choice1 You will get near 7MM magnum preformance with a little less recoil and lower cost too!

Akbound, I can agree with everything you've said! There is a lot of overlap in anything from 7MM-08 through the 30-06!
I also have nothing personally against the '06, It is a good choice too.
It's just that if you have a very specific job to do, there is usually a better preformer than the '06!
I guess my other phobia against it, is when I hear "it's killed more deer than any other" argument! That's just not a good enough reason in itself, to choose an '06 or the other very old .30 caliber1
Because actually the .22 LR has probably accounted for more deer than any other caliber, and that certainly does not make it a deer caliber!
Old 03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

This has been a very interesting discussion, but I'd like share a simple hunting philosophy of mine.

It's great to buy specialized hunting rifles if you have plenty of disposable income, but most of us don't. Rather than buying a rifle for each particular species, it makes more sense to buy a good rifle and make it fit a variety of situations. The shooter, not the weapon, makes the difference between a kill and an empty freezer.

So yes, one cartridge might excel in a given setting from another. But in the end, the challenge of testing your skill in making a chosen rifle work for you is what is most rewarding.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:46 PM

Hi again JagMagMan,

I'm not faulting your logic at all. Only attempting to point out (to someone with less practical experience) that there are very few differences between any of the cartridges they mentioned. Particularly for the uses iterated. It doesn't sound from your posts that we disagree on anything of merit, for certain.

The article mentioned pointed out some interesting information. As a long time reader of John Sundra......we probably both understand he has a "long time relationship" with the 7mm Rem Mag., which is indeed a good cartridge. But as Jack had his .270......Elmer his big bores (especially .33's).....Jamison his .300's......Wooters his .308 (later his 7X57 and muzzleloaders).......Milek his .25's and .280's......J.R.Sundra is a "big proponent" of the 7mm Remington Magnum. He recognizes it's many sterling qualities and likes to point them out. And there is nothing wrong with that! We all have our favorites.......some of us more than one! And we like to show our favorites "in the best light". Which of course means we "make the comparisons that show it best". (Which also means that we compare it's advandtages.......as opposed to it's competitor's weaknesses.)

And I know.....we both agree the .22LR is not a good deer rifle. (Though I read a newspaper article years ago of a circus elephant accidently killed with a .22LR handgun. Not a good elephant gun either.)

But for nearly any "normal hunting circumstance" particularly for what was suggested in the original post......any of the cartridges named would probably be good choices!

Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 12:59 PM

Just bought a Savage in 7mm-08 for my son. Great caliber shoots flat, lots of knock down, and extremely low recoil. Price was excellent 300 w/ 3x9 mounted and bore sighted. But anyone of calibers you mentioned would be good. As an opinion however , I think the mag calibers are a bit much for whitetails , but again thats my choice.Look at the savages there great guns and reasonably priced. Can price most of them by goin to local WalMart and asking to see the Gun wishbook. Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aught six, I agree not everybody has extra cash to line the gun safe with application only rifles but in todays world of bullets and cartridge choices, the 06' IMO no longer can be stated as the "jack of all trades" choice it once held. I however will not argue 06' will get the job done but merely point out so will others and arguably some more effeciently!

TWIG a magnum certainly isn't reguired for wt. However some of us hunt wt of a larger size than others or areas where long and short shots are offered, where we may find the extra umf and range welcome. It really boils down to assessing the needs/wants, then checking the box and finding the best choice personally.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

This has been a very good topic! I know caliber selections has been debated, and will be debated again here on these boards. It has been refreshing to see some disagreements, without the ugliness and name calling!

Ak, I think we do have much common ground, and are basically in agreement, not only in this thread, but in many others I've seen also!

I will be the first to admit, that not ALL of my caliber selections are based on facts, or sound reason! I do have some minor prejudices for and against some calibers!
I do always try to take into account the fact that I do not know someone else's experience and/or abilities when I am recommending a caliber, that is why I will always steer them to a "middle of the road" caliber! Neither too small or to big!

Again, Pointer, you've made a very good choice! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm shootin a 7mm rem mag model 700....With 165 grain/ nosler partition bullets. I am in love with this caliber. It is a real flat shooter and it packs a punch. I have downed bucks at pretty long distances with this gun and have not really had to compensate my aim for the distance. I use this rifle on both elk and deer with great success. My first elk i shot was at 250 yards and the nosler busted both shoulders and continued on its way out. The rifle has never failed me and i will continue to use it until such a day comes that i may find something better but i doubt i will.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:55 PM

I do always try to take into account the fact that I do not know someone else's experience and/or abilities when I am recommending a caliber, that is why I will always steer them to a "middle of the road" caliber! Neither too small or to big!
Hi again JagMagMan,

I agree entirely! Any of those calibers are great for hunting big game.....especially the North American variety.

Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aught six, I agree not everybody has extra cash to line the gun safe with application only rifles but in todays world of bullets and cartridge choices, the 06' IMO no longer can be stated as the "jack of all trades" choice it once held.
That's funny, have any North American game animals changed in the past 100 years?

Quick Reply: deer rifle caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.