Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Shed Hunting!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with Shed Hunting!

Hey Everyone, I have never been shed hunting, but would love to start. I have a bunch of land and am wondering the best places to look. Do I stick with the heavier used trails, or bedding areas? I also have a 5 acre field in the middle that has trails and beds all throughout. Should I look there? Just looking for a little guidance. There are pines on the west and north sides of the land and river bottom on the south and east with the field in the middle. We take a bunch of nice bucks each year, but have never found any sheds.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 02-23-2004, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Help with Shed Hunting!

all of them thick is good and where they jared their body(fence lines) i find if i am looking for them i dont see them i find more when looking for the cattle then for sheds
Old 02-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Spike

Mike I would follow all the trails leading from bedding and feeding areas 1st. I would check those pine thickets out also.Check all the south facing slopes and edges out aswell.They are usually the warmest places when the sun is out.If you have any cedar thickets I'd look there as they are usually alot warmer when its nasty out and deer eat the cedar bark.Carry binoculars they come in very handy.Turn around and check the trail you just walked down often you will be surprised at how many you walk right past.Good luck
Old 02-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My beagles always bring a lot back to me!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:27 PM

It would be a good idea to go and look in the thick stuff. Look in bedding areas and feeding areas and the travel routes in between these. Pretty much sheds could be anywhere in your woods or your neighbors woods.