Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone hear

Old 02-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: anyone hear

Had a buck crawl between two of us while putting on a drive. I saw it so I believe it.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 AM

[8D] This is just not fair if the cards weren't stacked against us already... Now they gotta go an throw some navy seal tactics at us.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen does do it on several different occasions. One dropped down and crawled along a clearing in a fencline. The cover ended, so she dropped down and crawled across the opening. I couldn't believe it. But it did happen. I was about 8 yards away. I think my jaw hitting the ground is what spooked her and made her get up and run!!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:47 PM

My dad told me a story about a doe one time that was being pushed heavily by dogs into a small field where a guy was watching, she tried to crawl on her belly across the clearing.

Now that I think about it, tonight when we were snowmobiling a doe jumped up and we turned the sleds to shine the light on her and watch here, she ran up and down the fenceline with snow up to her belly trying to crawl under the fence but she kept getting hung up, then she came back towards me and disappeared in a little dip for a few seconds, then she stared at me, then she finally managed to hop the fence. When she disappeared I think she was crawling, she was pretty cornered..
Old 02-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't actually seen this but I do believe they will. I had a 120-class buck that I had dead-to-rights (so I thought) in a 50X50 yard thicket, and he got out of there without me seeing him. Maybe he flew out, maybe he had a foxhole in there, but the most reasonable explanation I've got is that he crawled up a little wash maybe 3 feet deep and blasted out the far side while I blinked.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never seen that, but I have seen them fly.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was on stand one morning and it was snowing after a few minutes in stand I noticed a movement about 60yrds away but I couldn't tell what it was ,I watched it for about 30yrds moving away from behind me when it got to the field it jumped and ran across the field that's when I realized that it was a doe ,I was hunting with a rifle but because I couldn't make out what it was I never attempted the shot but I could have taken it when I first seen it moving .I'm not one to shoot at a target that I can't identify.

nubo
Old 02-15-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have personally witnessed this.....Over the 1966 Thanksgiving weekend in Wilderness State Park, tip of the mitt in lower peninsula Michigan, ...I was about 13, dad was in front of me when he holds his hand up and turns and holds his finger to his lips in the international sign for "ssshhhhh"
I didn't see anything until he pointed under a short thicket of cedars...a doe was bellycrawling under a blow-down through the mud and slush. She didn't have anywhere else to go that didn't expose her to us visually.
Only time I ever saw it....but it make me believe that deer do this when they think they have to..we just don't witness it.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

When we make drives I guess you could say they "crawl" in this ditch in the woods. It's about 20 ft wide and 20 ft deep and I've jumped herds that ran down through it then popped out of it right in front of my Dad. It was pretty cool he said since he could hear them running but not see them. They use the terrain a lot though when we drive them.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:53 PM

This is very common where I hunt[Jersey pines].Many clubs push these woods and you wont believe the many ways a deer can get around without being noticed.My family lives here and hunts here in these woods, along with friends,since the 1930`s.I`m 34yrs old,and I find myself saying every year"Now I`ve seen everything".Its amazing what lengths a deer will go,[when heavilly pressured]to go unnoticed.I think the only thing that I havent seen yet,is one climbing a tree,but I wouldnt put it past one anymore.
If that day ever came,I wouldn`t tell a soul.Everybody thinks I`m nuts as it is,this would be the defineing moment for them to get the neat white jacket,with the xtra long sleeves and long tie strings,out of the closet.

Quick Reply: anyone hear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.