HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What do you do with your antlers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/52307-what-do-you-do-your-antlers.html)

dkbs 02-08-2004 07:46 AM

What do you do with your antlers

Hello
After having read the post on antlers or meat, I was wondering what do you do with the antlers?
I've never thrown away a set of antlers from a buck I've taken, and I can't honestly tell you how many bucks I've taken with a bow. The first room you enter as you come in my house is filled with mounted deer heads, racks on plaques, skulls with racks, as well as other mounts and rugs.(I have a very understanding wife) Strangers often wonder if I'm a taxidermist. Some antlers I have set up for rattling. Some are simply in storage. And I often have wondered what I could do with them that was creative.
My pastor who has taken a number of nice bucks, simply discards the antlers. And I'm like, your kidding me!

So what is it that you folks do with yours?

Dan

Tribal 02-08-2004 08:41 AM

RE: What do you do with your antlers

I usually hang them on the wall in the garage. Nothing fancy but then I can at least look at them and remember the hunt and the animal. Whether its a small spike from my early days or a 10 pointer that was just shy of Pope and Young. I feel I owe it to the animal rather than discarding or throwing them in a box somewhere. I am taking a few 8 pointer racks I harvested and making candle holders for my fireplace mantle.

Hiawatha 02-08-2004 10:00 AM

i have some sets mounted, and everything else is put in with all my sheds in a building for storage. I have a few shed antlers that i have carved out for decoration but other than that all i really do with them is collect.

RobinHood36 02-08-2004 10:26 AM

Made a lamp out of some sets of antlers and the rest are hanging in my garage.

sunset 02-08-2004 11:04 AM

A friend, taxidermist, mounted the Beatty buck, he sent the rack away to have a mold of it...
i just hang mine in the garage. unless I get a really nice one , then it is mounted.

Smitty_nc1 02-08-2004 02:39 PM

I've got a collection of small basket racks that sits on a work bench in my back room. Never really thought much about what I could do with them. Thought about maybe doing something like Cardeer and make some cardeer necklaces out of them. Don't know if they would bring the same luck as the one he sent me. But it's a thought.

FlDeerman 02-08-2004 09:39 PM

I just have mine laying around,I guess I'll hang them some where someday.

SchuylkillOutdoorsman 02-09-2004 03:16 AM

I have mine hanging on the walls in my basement.

benhuntin 02-09-2004 11:35 AM

WhiteRaven 02-09-2004 11:42 AM

generally speaking..nothing.