Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did you get started in hunting? >

How did you get started in hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you get started in hunting?

Old 02-01-2004, 07:52 PM

Default How did you get started in hunting?

Tonight I was at my aunts house looking through OLD pictures and saw all kinds of pictures from the property we have now which has had 3 different camps on it. I seen pics of my grampa who died before I was born with deer, and him holding the gun my dad now uses. I found all of the pictures very interesting and it was amazing seeing all the old tools, steel water jugs, pictures that hang ont he wall etc that are still at our hunting camp today, and some of the pictures (most) are from the 50's. I wish I lived back in those days..
Old 02-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did you get started in hunting?

I got myself interested in hunting. Since I was probaly in 3rd or 4th grade, I've been watching hunting shows. I guess you could say TV got me interested[] It's kinda weird being the only hunter in my family, but its worth it
Old 02-01-2004, 10:05 PM

My Grandfather put a BB gun in my hand probably before I could walk.My mother married my stepdad when I was 2yrs old,he loves hunting.I was born and raised to hunt.Been going hunting since I was 6yrs old.Now Im 34 and still learning everyday.I love it.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting has been big on both sides of my family. Both my grandfathers and 1 grandmother hunted. My uncle on one side hunts as does my father and his brother. Several of my cousins hunt as well. As far as me, I started "hunting" when I was young (10 or so). I would accompany my father when deer hunting. Funny thing is he never got anything when I ws with him until i was ~15, but I still loved it. When I wasn't with him, I would wait anxiously for him to come home to see if he had gotten anything. My proudest day was whne I was hunting by myself on Thanksgiving am and shot a doe (very small doe and 1st deer), but I was beaming when my dad showed up later that day and he saw the deer hanging on the pole. Fun times.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

I never did get to hunt with my dad or grandfather. I got to see them go out for rabbits several years, but was never old enough to go. I got caught up with basketball and that was my life until I graduated from high school.

I went squirrel hunting several times in high school with a couple of friends and bought my first shotgun right after I graduated. After that, I was hooked for life. It escalated into deer hunting, which is now the only hunting I do. I plan on trying my hand on turkey's this year if I can make the time.

I hunt with my younger brother and several friends. I played an important part in getting my younger brother into hunting, and now it is paying off as he takes me to farms to hunt. I've lost all of my hunting land due to the farms selling etc.. It looks like my older brother wants to try his hand at deer hunting this year as well.

Matt
Old 02-02-2004, 11:48 AM

well, i always saw my dad come home with a pheasant or goose. Then my dad and mom got divorced and my mom married my stepdad and he liked to hunt so i went ou with him and my older brothers and just walked.And then when i was old enough i went with him and other people.Then my best friend and his dad asked me if i wanted to apply for a west river deer tag with them and i was like sure.So my step dad went out and bought 2 rifles so we could send in east river as well and i drew a west river deer tag but we didnt get a east river.The next year i got both and ive been hunting deer for the last 3 yrs.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad always hunted so I just started hunting with him. We hunt together whenever we can but I hunt more than him now. I'm looking forward to spring when we get to go gobbler hunting!!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 PM

[8D] Crazy as it might sound I got my start playing cowboys and Indians. We would choose for sides like choosing sides for a pick-up baseball game. We'd track each other threw the local woods and of course have our cap gun shoot outs. I'm a product of the early 1950's Western tv shows and we just picked up on what they were doing. Eventually, my dad observed my interest and decided it was time for him to introduce real hunting. Hunting ever since.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

How? I guess I was born. Just part of life.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I was kinda' born into it too. Most of my family hunts. My dad first took me squirrel hunting when I was still in diapers. My grandpa bought me a shotgun before I was born. I've been very fortunate to belong to a family that holds the outdoors in such regard. I've always been taught to respect the game and other hunters and to leave the outdoors better than I found them. I'll be passing the same on to my boys and girl. There were a lot of people who got me into hunting and I've passed that to many others and hope to pass it to many more.

Quick Reply: How did you get started in hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.