Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did you get started in hunting? >

How did you get started in hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you get started in hunting?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:52 PM

Default RE: How did you get started in hunting?

i wish i had talked of hunting with my grandpai he was old all my life and after he died i found a small army of guns in his celler but it was to late
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM

i started hunting when i was about ten because my dad was a big hunter and he was always going to the woods.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:17 AM

Needed food without chemicals
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 AM

I was born a hunter! If memory serves me correctly, I was always interested in wildlife. My dad used to tell me that I was pointing my finger and going "POW" at squirrels when I was still in diapers! And my dad was never really much of a hunter! He did take the time to get me started when I was old enough, but after a few years he saw that I could do quite well by myself and going out with the neighbors occasionally, he gave it up! I pretty much taught myself by in the field, hands on experience!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Basically I was born into it, but I'm sure that was all becuase of my dad. He mostly fished,trapped and deer hunted. Took me for squirrels though to get practice. He really did a fine job instilling the basic skills of shooting and woodsmanship. I was way ahead of the game in those respects.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Back in the 60's when I was 5 or so I'd tag along with my dad and brothers hiking into remote trout rivers and I remember deer hunting season and waiting for them to come home. There was always alot of anticipation to see what deer they'd bring home and I'd help where I could dragging and hanging deer. I would take the cut off legs and make deer tracks in the backyard. My brother would take me out grouse hunting and then when I turned 12, I started hunting on my own for grouse, duck, geese, and deer. I got a chance to go pheasant hunting a few times with my dad and uncle so when I moved south, I started hunting them more too. I also started fly fishing in SE MN and one day when I took the rod out of the back of my truck, I slammed the topper door and heard this weird sound. I opened it and slammed it down again. There it was...I just heard my first wild turkey. From that day until now, my dad started hunting them and I joined him and have become hooked on hunting wild turkeys. Out of all that I've done in my life, the outdoors is about the only place I feel really at home.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a BB gun in my hands for as long as I could remember! In my early days I hunted ducks some with my dad, but he was an older dad and we did not hunt together that much as I grew up. We did do a lot of fishing though.
As for hunting, in our small town ducks was the rage and also rabbits, some quail and doves too!
After school and weekends found us in the local fields hunting or on the banks of the local bayou fishing. We biked or hiked wherever we went, and basically our "playground" covered our whole town and surrounding areas! It was a different world back then! There were no Nintendo's or computer games, most of us had guns and could go where we wanted without fear of kidnapping, perverts and the like!
Most of the people knew each other, and if you were caught screwing-up your dad was sure to find out about it and take appropriate corrective action! (you got your tail fanned but good!)
You sure as hell didn't tell anyone "go ahead, tell my dad, he'll whip your a$$!"
Anyway, enough reminising, we did not have deer in our area close enough to bike to, so it was not until after I was grown that a friend took me deer hunting.
I was immediatly, hooked! I have been deer hunting for the last 27 years now, and have given up on the ducks years ago!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:49 PM

my grandpa
Old 02-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Shooting was with my grand pa. Hunting was with my hogh school friends. I now bow hunt and have been moving into the more chalenging things like squirrel and turkey with my compound and traditional for deer.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting was a family thing with us too. My dad was always to busy but Grandpa and all the cousins and uncles hunted everything. I started out hunting mostly upland game but then got into waterfowl and deer hunting a little later ,like high school years. Got into bear and other big game hunting after I got married. My wife and her whole bunch hunted as well. Now its mostly my wife and I. My kids like to hunt a little but it reall isn't a passion with them. Most of the older folks are gone now. Lost my last big hunting uncle this past year. I will try to interest the grandkids in hunting as they get a little older. Thank God for hunting it has been such a big part of my life and memories. Good hunting to all of you.

Quick Reply: How did you get started in hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.