Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did you get started in hunting? >

How did you get started in hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you get started in hunting?

Old 02-03-2004, 11:01 PM

Default RE: How did you get started in hunting?

I started watching hunting on tv when i was a little guy. I quickly caught the fever and started to by just about every hunting mag available. My dad had never hunted a day in his life so he wasn't much help to me but he always encouraged me to pursue hunting. I got my first riifle when i was 12 years old and started pluggin away. Mom or Dad would take me out hunting and just sit beside me or in the truck while i walked to my spot. I like to think that i have came a long way in my 8 years of hunting. I never really had anyone tellin me about hunting i just had to learn things as i went along. I think this trial and error method really helped me alot because i was able to determine what to do and what not to do by myself. The stuff i picked up i don't think can be taught its just somethings you have to experience yourself. Maybe if my dad would have been a big hunter he would have told me all these things i know now but i found it far more valuable to discover them for myslef.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

always ddi the rednecky things in life, then one day my sister got a turkey and i saw it and that's all it took..we started hunting duck and went from there.......no one in our family hunts...[:'(]
Old 02-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad, uncles and grandpa were all hardcore waterfowl hunters, while dad and my uncle enjoyed big game hunting they lived for duck season. At a very young age and being the only boy in the group I was brought into the fold, went along spotting and hunting. I was upgraded to carry my wooden gun and empty shell belt by the age of 4, which then turned into a bb gun but wasn't allowed to carry it while actually bird hunting. 22 and shotguns would follow until I reached age 10 when i was given my first rifle a 308 win 760 pump to get use too. At the legal age of 12 I hunted everything with my dad and uncles. I shot my first canada, snow, speckle belly and mallard that fall. Not be out done I tagged a mule deer doe in a special youth draw and 2 nice bucks before my first season would come to an end. At the age of 16 I started to really get into hunting big game, buying a bow & then followed by a muzzleloader. I learned more about hunting animals and their characteristics after departing from my elders, but I owe them everything for instilling the passion for the outdoors at such a young age. As they say the rest is history.

My wife and mom curse Dad for this though as I have gone past passion and right to obession for anything to do with hunting.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

At about age 9 I was allowed to go along on pheasant hunts in Michigan's thumb area near Brown City. I continued doing that until age 12 when I would tag along at deer camp. Then, at 14, I saved up my lawn cutting $$ all summer to buy a 7 X 57 Steyr Mannlicher. Still have it today. From there I just kept getting into more hunting, especially after I received a SxS 20 ga. for my 16th birthday. My dad and gunsmith granddad taught me the love of the woods and the peace of the outdoors. Still prefer to be outside more than anywhere else.

When I can find the time I bowhunt, squirrel hunt, rifle hunt, muzzleload hunt, bird hunt...and when the seasons don't offer me any hunting I'm out there sitting and watching.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was also born into an hunting family. My great grandpa, both my real and step grandpa were hunters, my dad, and my mom. Noone on my mom's side of the family hunt. I first started off was with my parents when i was pretty young, i believe 4 or 5. I was about 6 when i actually start carrying a BB gun on deer, dobe, and quail hunts with my dad.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just felt the urge to go, friend had a couple 22's and we went, loved it ever sense.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM

my pappy started me off the right way when i was 9 years old. been nothin but gret memories since. my son will experience the same.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:08 PM

I got started when my mother got remarried in '87. My stepdad and I still hunt together to this day. He recently inherited 150 acres so thats pretty special for us being able to hunt on family land.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:09 PM

My Dad and my Brother I guess. The times I can remember going deer hunting was usually with my dad. He started me out around 8 years old going with him on the hunts in the dog clubs. I think I was around 9 or 10 when "Santa" brought me my first gun. It was a mossberg 12 gauge with the accu-choke on the end of the barrel. I can remember my brother (10 years older) taking me squirrel hunting across from our old house. He taught me a few things. The only thing now is I'm hunting without them. They are both still alive but pops has a bad back and doesn't care to chase deer anymore and my brother now has a 12 year old son that doesn't seem to care for hunting. He is into the Boy Scouts, and I can only hope that one day he will ask his uncle Scott to take him hunting. Just wish I could get my dad to go turkey hunting with me one time. I think he would be hooked.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:03 PM

I have been hunting with my dad since I was 6 months old, my first deer hunt. My grandpa, great grandpa, great-great grandpa, etc. all hunted so I love to hunt. My two sisters hunt, my mom hunts and my two little brothers hunt, my younger sister would have hunted but she died at age 3 so it was not an option.

Quick Reply: How did you get started in hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.