Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fawns and yearlings.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Fawns and yearlings.

What is the point of shooting a young deer, fawn, yearling... ect. I just don't see the poing in that. I am not talking about shooting small pointed buck like a 2 by 2 or spike, because the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. For example if my brother shot a 2x2 that would be great, and would be a trophy for him, but as far as does and yearlings go, whats the point? Your not shooting a buck, your not really filling the freezer, so why not let it go and grow? I have seen people post really small deer, that i couldn't imagine pulling the trigger on. If you want to shoot a doe, to even the ratio, or to fill the freezer (like i did this year) why not shoot an older/bigger one. That way you take a deer with the least amount of life/growing left, and let the younger ones reproduce and get bigger?

anybody feal the same... or different? I would just like to hear your opinions.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:20 AM

Default RE: Fawns and yearlings.

My first deer was a button buck......just a little guy, but it made no difference to me at that time......it was a DEER! I couldn't have been happier. After that though, I never wanted to shoot a fawn again, I'd rather see them grow up. Nothing wrong with shooting them really, especially for kids or first time hunters, but like you I'd much rather take a mature doe than a fawn. Doesn't make any difference cuz I couldn't shoot either if I wanted to But I can shoot bucks
Old 01-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Part of it depends on if you are trying to manage the deer herd for better buck harvest in the future and the population of the deer herd. Many places in the south the need to harvest as many does, regardless of their age is beginning to become a major problem. Many states let you shoot two does per day throughout the season, and yet the population continues to soar. I have some larger acerage tracts that we try to manage for future buck harvest, and I have some areas that we shoot whatever you want to. Just your own choice.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:41 AM

The first deer I ever shot (after many years of hunting without ever shooting anything) was a button buck. I was thrilled with it. I dont go out trying to shoot yearlings and go out of my way not to shoot them, but mistakes happen. I shot a yearling this year that was by itself 120 yards away. I looked at it for several minutes to determine if it was a yearling or not. With my limited experience telling the difference, the fact that it was alone, and being over 100 yards away, I decided that it was mature and shot it. Imagine my surprise when I walked up to it later and found that it was a yearling. A fairly large one, but a yearling none the less. Yearlings are very easy to pick out of a group of deer, but when they are standing there by themselves and at a distance, it is harder to tell. I am learning as I go, and I didn't loose any sleep over the mistake. I just chalk it up to a learning experience and will try not to do it again.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need to harvest does where you are....a doe fawn, yearling, or adult will ultimately yeild the same result. One less doe, eating and having babies on your property. I don't hesitate to shoot any of the 3 if need be. TC is right on.

Some of the best advice I've ever heard given, was a biologist talking about shooting does:

The "correct" doe to harvest...is the first one that stands still long enough for you to get a clean shot.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Amen WV!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM

something else to keep in mind is that if you want more deer let the older ones go they are more likely to bear muliple fawns as younger does usually bear one, as far as an out of balance herd you need to take as many does as possible to even things out and that means young and old, most would agree that letting small bucks walk is a positive thing, you also have to consider some people are not interested in antlers and would just a soon shoot anyting that walks by to fill the freezer young or old, my opinion if it's legal why make an issue of it....
Old 01-24-2004, 10:29 PM

Not a issue, i just wanted to hear your opionions rebel. Thanks for the replys everyone.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:59 PM

i saw a small, maybe 10 or 11 month old and it was not useing one leg at all so i shot it its foot had been shot out and their was no way she would live the manitoba winter, i have never shot a buck, we just dont see much for bucks in my part of the woods
Old 01-25-2004, 03:40 PM

I shoot does. The area I bowhunt gives out antlerless tags, so I feel if the DNR deems the does to be shot, I'll shoot them. They taste great, and some old does are as wary as bucks.

Quick Reply: Fawns and yearlings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.