Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy's

Old 01-20-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Trophy's

I was thinkin its kinda funny how a deer is classified as a "trophy". Where I hunt the deer i killed last year 8 pt 17 inches wide was a monster and then i see pictures on here of deer that would eat that one! and they say it wont big enough for the wall!! Id sure like to go huntin where yall are and get somethin like that.But the way I see it a trophy isnt about how much mass a deers antlers had or how many points or how wide I think that any deer that you are lucky enough to kill is a trophy.<--- My opinion. My cousin killed a little deer last year dressed out weighed like 60 lbs it was a little button buck and he thought it was the greatest thing he had ever shot which it wasnt he killed a lil 5 pointer the year before that. So my question is how big is big when were talking about deer?? what do you consider a trophy??
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Trophy's

It doesn't matter what I consider a trophy.....it only matters what you think a trophy is to you.......get it?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 PM

Trophy is in the eye of the holder!!! what makes a trophy, Deer population in the area, average size of the deer in the area, difficulty of the hunt, memorable hunt, first deer , last deer etc. etc. If youre proud of it, then its a trophy.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:52 AM

My father-in-law has lived and hunted in Ill. for 20 years until 5 years ago.
He moved to North Carolina. He killed a fair buck (130" 10 pointer)
The people there thought it was a monster. In Illinois some would have questioned him for taking a buck that needed a couple more years to grow.
He was satisfied with it. Until he realized for there it was a top prize then his pride in it grew. It became one of his top trophies. The challenge of killing a big buck there was actually tougher than here in Illinois. So it meant more to him, Than say if he had killed a 150 class buck here.
You just have to look at things in perspective. Take pride in what youve accomplished. I still get a kick out of taking a good meat doe. Heck I bet 70% of hunters here are ashamed of killing does.
I think we have gone overboard in trophy hunting. It is nce to take a nice buck. But the hunt , the adventure, the deer camp, the smell of the woods , the entire atmosphere is being overlooked. These are all things to be relished. These are what deer hunting memeories are made of. Not the final score on your buck and trying to beat everyone else. Have fun , remember the good times and try to pass this on to your kids. Beware of the commercialization of the "sport". Hunting compainies(products) and outfitters are going to ruin it all for us because of many peoples pursuit of even bigger giants bucks .
Your trophy should be the hunt , its memories and any deer you decide to bag.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

not me ratdawg. i love dem meat does!!!!

a trophy is a term that is flexible over the regions. if i shoot a buck over 100" as of right now, that would be a trophy to me and would probably go on the wall. i hunt a little 40 acre piece of public land, and a farm in hillsboro that gets pummelled opening week with 3 days of drives on opening week by the caretaker and his friends that we dont like. very hard to kill a buck on both pieces of property.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Banned

I'm not exactly sure about what makes a trophy to be honest. I agree that lesser bucks could have much more meaning to a person but it doesn't neccesarily make it a trophy rack. I don't think I could honestly say having a 4 pointer, for example, on the wall would be classified as a trophy. I think a trophy has to have more than just special significance for the taker...otherwise it's just a trophy in their eyes...no one elses.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:28 AM

it has been said before,if it is a trophy to you then it doesn't matter what other think about it.

to a young hunter a squirrel is as much of a trophy as a 10 buck.
It all depends on how you were raised in the hunting world.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:11 AM

easy, whatever makes the hunter happy, i have a full bodied coyote mounted and quite a few beautiful ducks mounted, i think they are trophies just like my deer
Old 01-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any mature deer harvested through hard work and patience (and maybe a little luck now and again) is a trophy to me.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:29 AM

Just like a kid getting his 1st. baseball, soccer trophy, etc.. Hunters trophies are when they consider them trophies themselves. It's all semantic when you leave your trophy category and you jump to recorded trophies in B&c or P&Y books.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.