HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Father kills son on hunt. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/50186-father-kills-son-hunt.html)

dpv 01-20-2004 06:40 PM

Father kills son on hunt.

I read the article today. They were on a hog hunt. Someone called out that they saw a hog. Dad jumps up near camp and sights in on a small black moving object . Shoots . Hits son's hat at 225 yards. DOA . The father didn't properly identify his target and the kid wasn't wearing blaze orange. A tragedy that could easily have been averted.

Be safe.

David

8mm/06 01-20-2004 07:03 PM

RE: Father kills son on hunt.

Man! ......
I can't help thinking about that family....prayers are in order for them

Shotgun stalker 01-20-2004 07:12 PM

Man that sucks I bet that guy hates himself now and like was already said could have been avoided. BUT no one should ever say "could have" They should have been wearin orange without even thinkin bout it . ALWAYS wear orange when gun huntin or ML for that matter too many crazy people out there.

A.K.A eastwood 01-20-2004 09:03 PM

got the article?

Split-Hoof 01-20-2004 09:07 PM

That is very tragic:( I fail to understand why people make mistakes like that.....target identification is extremely important for obvious reasons. He is paying the highest price possible for a foolish mistake. Very, very unfortunate.

elmer deer 01-20-2004 09:15 PM

That is a shame I've been hunting for 35years ever since my dad took me with him when I was 6,fisrt thing he taught me was never ever shoot anything you have not identified and make damn sure what is behind it cause you never know where that bullet goes after it's out of the barrel, no one should be hunting if they can't follow these rules. Can't take back a mistake like that ever. What a shame.

James B 01-20-2004 09:19 PM

That is traject. He will never get over the pain. I Knew two brothers quite well that were duck hunting and one killed the other when his shotgun went off by accident. Another friend of mine had two newhews who were bow hunting for elk when one shot the other. He is a basket case to this day and that was eight years ago.

bamabuck27 01-20-2004 09:53 PM

That has to be very painfull for that family. My Grandad got killed when his rifel accidently went off while he was undoing a latch to a fence gate. My Mom still reminds me of that day and to keep in mind of the importance of gun safety. My Dad also got shot by his brother while deer hunting but luckly was not seriuosly hurt. That happened in a case just like the artical of the Father shooting his son. My Uncle was miss dirrected on what location to go and set up just a few yards down from where my Dad was but neather could see each other for some brush even though they had on hunters orange. A deer had run out between them while running dogs and my uncle shot the deer using buck shot. One or two pellets missed the deer and struck my dad in the shoulder. Luckly there was enough distance in between them that the pellets did not penatrate that deep, but still very scary.

KoBear 01-21-2004 04:22 AM

that is scary. i always wear orange while gun hunting and will even wear it in sometimes during winter bow when there are gun hunters around. never can be too safe...

slugman 01-21-2004 05:57 AM

a shame