Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shunk in trap now what

Old 01-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shunk in trap now what

We have a coon problem in the barn. Well instead of a coon got a shunk. anyone know how to get him out without being sparyed?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:35 PM

Default RE: shunk in trap now what

Very carefully..........
Old 01-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

shunk?
flop a blanket over it and chuck it in the river for 10 min..no spray if you're carefull...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot it in the head from a minimum of 20 yards away and do not let know that you are there so it is not alert and ready to spray.

Speaking from experiance,[X(][X(][X(] you do not want to get sprayed by this guy. They can spray a lot farther than you think. It don't taste good either.[X(]
Old 01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT shoot it with a bow!!!!!

My dad did this in Wyoming when there was a skunk in the doghouse! OOPS!

I would shoot it in the head from a distance, safest way to go. And shoot it from behind, so it doesn't see you.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 AM

[:-] Just let it starve to death!!!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 01-19-2004, 06:31 AM

DONT SHOOT IT!!! i shot a skunk once last spring at it smelled to high heaven it was horrible take like someone else said tie some rope to the trap and lower it into a pond or river or someother body of water and make sure that the trap is completly under and just let it drown.Thats the only method ive ever heard of for gettin a skunk outta a trap. not very humane but atleast youll have your trap and be spray free. but if you were gonna shoot it id have to say use a BIG caliber rifle and put one right through its head and kill it immediately or else it will spray. hope this helps oh and throw an old blanket over the top of the trap so it cant see you.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:53 AM

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't shoot it in the head. Sometimes when you head shoot them the entire body tightens up for a minute after the shot which means the muscles that cause the spray to go any distance will tighten. I've found that a well placed .22 bullet down between the shoulder blades and dead center will cut off any nerve control to the rear portion of the animal, with minimal scent leakage! Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 AM

Deerhunter let us know what happens and best of luck!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not envy your task at all, the blanket over it should get him calmed down enough to where he won't spray, the problem will be getting the blanket into place without upsetting the little varmint!

Quick Reply: shunk in trap now what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.