Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

which is better

Old 01-18-2004, 11:24 AM

Default which is better

which is better to use a ladder stand or climber or tree screws
Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which is better

For you or the trees? The only advantage as I see it to tree screws is if you have to carry them very far. Otherwise I use a ladder.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 PM

for mobitity, a climber all the way
Old 01-18-2004, 04:01 PM

i vote for the climber! i have a lone wolf alpha . i love it!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the location. I mostly hunt out of a climber but sometimes I find an area with no trees suitable to hunt with a climber. For that spot I will break out the loc-on and screw in steps. My favorite tree for a loc-on stand is a cedar tree. Most of the time it only takes a few steps. From there you can climb all the way to the top on the tree limbs and they also offer excellent cover. I've never used a ladder stand because they seem too bulky to carry into the woods.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I had to pick one stand to use in any condition then I would pick the hang-on stand simply because you can put one in any type of tree. You cannot say that about a climber or a ladder stand though each of the other two has its own advantages as well.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:39 AM

i have all three, and like to use all of them, all have their best situations
Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

IT all depends on where the stand need to be? climbers are good for quick set up and then leave the area! and can be moved to another tree with no problem.latter stands are great in there place as well.if it is a thick swamp or hill side and can be set up well before you plan to hunt it. they are very quite getting into. this also works well for lock on stands. learn to use them all to your advantage.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually use tree screws (or 40penny nails) because they're incredibly cheap-what I really prefer to do is use a climbing belt and kick spikes, or use trees with a lot of limbs so I can just climb up-they help to conceal me in my stand as well...the belt/kick spike set up keeps people from getting stealing my stand, or hunting it without my permission.

I've really liked using climbers, but finding a tree that has no limbs high enough to make climbing handy here in Kansas isn't easy-it's NOT handy to have to un-hitch a climber to manuover around 15 branches on your way up.

I don't really like ladder stands, they're probably as sturdy as they come, I just don't like carrying that much metal afield, and there's no hiding a ladder. I've made some "non-typical" ladder stands, they mount sideways compared to typical ones, the ladder runs up to the side of the stand, so it's closer to the tree...one of them I made so that the ladder was against the tree off to the side of the stand, basically a free hanging stand with a fixed ladder.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:38 PM

Ladder stand there sonny they are more confortable and quiet.[:@][&:][:-][]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.