HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shed Catchers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/49365-shed-catchers.html)

t roy 01-15-2004 07:00 PM

RE: Shed Catchers

shedhead; any tips on finding sheds, i went out at least a dozen time beginning in late january last year and didnt find a one, i've heard looking along fence lines and other places bucks have to jump (jarring the shed loose) is a good place to find them but it didnt work for me;

i dont care for the antler trap either kind of ruins the fun of hunting for them.

Angus74 01-15-2004 08:04 PM

I dont use wire on mine anymore, I was afraid a deer would get caught butit never happened. Anyway I drive five posts or stakes in the shape of a W then stretch rubber tarp straps between the stakes, the more straps the better, the pour corn all through the catcher. The rubber straps wont hold the deer, if the arent ready to shed the straps just pop off, if they are ready to shed the antlers will be there.
Yes I also spend my time walking and looking, about 100 plus hours each spring and only find about 3-4 sheds each year while walking. I walk literally miles of fence each spring and have never found a shed at one, just my bad luck I guess.

TJF 01-15-2004 10:48 PM

Angus 74

Are you checking feeding areas and the deer trails leading back to bedding areas?? It sounds like you spend way too much time walking fence lines from your post. I have found a few sheds where deer jump a fence to get to their feeding area/bedding areas but not very often. I will go out of my way to check a fence where their is heavy use of the deer crossing it. I won't walk a fence line just in hopes a buck randomly happened to jump it unless their is a good feeding area on one side or the other and a lot of deer sign.

Take a hunter approach to finding sheds. Look where the deer spend their time feeding and moving. It helps to know where the deer are feeding now till spring. Not where they were feeding during hunting season as that could change during winter. Do a little scouting. Sounds like you are willing to put the miles. Goodluck and if you have anymore questions, ask away.

Everyone else

Like shedhead, my son and I don't use antler traps. We also don't have a problem finding sheds. shedhead's post is a good one as that is what we see, how we feel about it and why we feel tromping is the best way to go about it. The one thing that really bothers me about antler traps... deer do compete for food. Winter when things are tough you will really see it. I've seen bucks gore other deer to feed in a good spot. I've seen does strike out with their front feet when other deer get too close and that includes their own fawns. If I see that in natural feeding areas, how much worse is the competition over your little piles in a confined area?? When you guys check your antler traps...look and see how much deer hair is on the ground. When you find a glob of hair, remember... some deer just payed for your fun. Bet that hurts when a deer gets rammed into a steel post. OUCH!!!

Tim

bearklr 01-16-2004 09:55 AM

C'mon now. We have to ease up a little bit. I think it's a little exagerated to say that deer are beating the living crap out of each other just to get to some corn. First of all we don't have an issue around here with deer not having any food over the winter. We don't get a ton of snow like you do and there is always a feeder full of corn. Second, if this were the case then every person who put a feeder out over the winter to help the deer is actually promoting deer on deer violence. Now granted I am sure there are times when deer do get into scuffles over food but that is to be expected. It would happen no matter where they ate if food was that scarce, not based soley on the fact that I put an antler trap out. And as far as walking and earning your antlers, this is not always possible for everyone. I have to work all day long and when I get home I have to help my 8 mo pregnant wife with house chores which leaves me about an hour of down time in a day. That is until my son is born at which time my day will be full to the brim. Also take into consideration that not everyone has alot of deer in their area and if they do they don't always have access to all of the land these deer may travel. This is the scenario I am in. Our deer population is pretty low. In fact I could probably count on 3 fingers the number of mature bucks in the general vicinity, and once again they don't spend too much time on land that I have access to. This is why antler traps are the way that works best for me. I am glad that you are able to enjoy actually hunting and finding sheds believe me I wish I could do the same but it's just not possible.

shedhead 01-17-2004 08:14 AM

T roy,

In my opinion the real way to find sheds is to use your instincts about your knowledge of deer and just get out there and put your time in. Think about food sources and where the deer might be bedding and start there. I use to go a real lot but now with a family my time is more limited and I don't get out nearly as much but the time I do get out I really appreciate. I was out this morning at 6:50 am and spent 2 hours shedding and found a nice 4 pt fresh side. I always say the guys who walk and find sheds are guys that are out there doing it and not home talking about it but I also believe that there is a knack to it. good luck