Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does anyone have water buckets? >

Does anyone have water buckets?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does anyone have water buckets?

Old 01-13-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Does anyone have water buckets?

We have been thinking about putting out water buckets. Do they work? What would happen if a deer get's used to a bucket and it dries up?

Anybody have ideas on makeing a water barrels etc..?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone have water buckets?

i think the water would spoil too quickly. probably get mosquitoes and unless theres a drought i doubt if its worth it. now i do see the occasional mr turtle pool out at the curbside once in a while and it has crossed my mind
Old 01-13-2004, 07:12 PM

Ive watched deer drink swamp water so yes I do think it would work. Is it enough to keep them comming back day in and day ot probably not. Needless to say it wouldnt hurt.Look for a old tub that someones throwing away.Dig a big hole and put the tub in it. Wala you have a water hole. That sounds pretty good I might have to try it.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Typical Buck

Cut a 55 gal drum in half. Make sure you know what was in the barrel before you go cutting on it or use it for your deer heard. Of course if you get any 2 headed bucks.......................
Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 AM

Does it work will it help keep animals in the area instead of traveling for water?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:04 AM

i know a guide in kansas who has 15 gal tanks in ground and it attracks deer, where there is no water
Old 01-15-2004, 08:47 AM

I don't know if it is worth it for me to attempt. My property is bordered by the Frio River. The deer would have to and normally do travel less the 1/4 mile for water and plenty of it.

The whole idea for me would be to keep them on our hill instead of in the bottoms of the river/canyon.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:00 AM

no it probably wont help, this would help if the deer had to travel great distances for water
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Given a choice of walking 1/4 mile of open ground for clean water or 100 yards of cover for swamp water the deer will choose the swamp water , especially if they don't have to expose themselves . They are lazy skittish creatures , and will choose the closest source .

Where I live there are myriad small seeps and springs in the woods , so buckets would be a waste of effort for me .
Old 01-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a dry year they will come up and drink from my horse tank. Therefore I quess in dry years easy water mught attrack them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have water buckets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.