Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Still Hunting

Old 01-13-2004, 05:35 PM
AK

Default RE: Still Hunting

I hunt from the ground most of the time. Conditions permitting, I REALLY enjoy stillhunting. It's a more difficult game, though the excitement doesn't compare with sitting in a tree. I spook my share of deer that way, but manage to take one every year or two. Small doe this season, 8-pt two seasons before that, another buck the year before that, and so on. Great sport in it.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is taking a deer at 300 yards more shooting then hunting?? I would have to say so.
That is what ya said.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:52 PM

AK why did u take such a small doe?? Yea ya want the doe population is much higher than buck but still ya should have went for a bigger one...
Old 01-13-2004, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

However make sure you get within 50 yds cause if you shoot him too far off its not hunting it's shooting. LOL
Sorry Zrex but I meant what I actually said.........not what you what twisted my words into...........reading a thread helps sometimes

Here,....I'll help you

ORIGINAL: atlasman

EAAAAAASY there big fella......let's get one thing very clear right now. I NEVER said that long distance kills were not hunting. Don't put words in my mouth. I said that long distance whacks are more dependent on shooting skill then hunting skill. As long as an animal is taken legally it is hunting to me and that person is a fellow hunter.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:09 PM

i mostly hunt out of a tree stand unless its real windy because where i hunt its almost all dense cover and its much easier to wait for a deer to come to you than trying to sneak up on one.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:26 PM

I like still hunting with bow durring late season, when there is snow on the ground. I got a doe late december from the ground. Great feeling. I actually saw the doe walking towards me from about 80 yards, and when she got 20 yards out, turned broadside, and that was it.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

I love still-hunting. I believe it's the hardest way to hunt. It can be the most exciting. There's no better feeling than when you make something happen, and I love jump-shooting deer or walking up on them in their beds. I spend a lot of time making drives which are no more than organized still hunts. My other favorite method of hunting is 25-30 feet up in a tall tree in a 7-8 year old clearcut.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

I definately like to hunt... still.