Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many hours/ how many bucks? >

How many hours/ how many bucks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many hours/ how many bucks?

Old 01-10-2004, 08:22 PM

Default How many hours/ how many bucks?

This question is for everybody out there who picked up a weapon of any type and headed out to hunt whitetail BUCKS. There seems to be alot of my way is better, my hunting is harder, we have no deer, you have to many deer, etc. etc. What I want to know is how many hours where you in the field, how many bucks you saw SPIKES on up to whatever. And finally what state where you in.
Why do I want to know all this you ask. Because I am in a four year slump. Not only have I not killed a buck in four seasons. I haven't even seen one in four seasons. I've always considered myself a very good deer hunter but lately I've been begining to wonder what the problem is. I hunt with both bow and gun I travel to other areas (states) to hunt and I spend an Average of 150 hours in the field each year in persuit of whitetails and latelly it's been hell. I'm beginning to think it's not me but where I hunt, so I'm thinking it's time to move. So tell me guys where are all the deer. HELP ME I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM

Default RE: How many hours/ how many bucks?

Hey NY......It will come......

I spent a about 6 hrs a day hunting since Dec. 23 thru Jan. 2. 1 buck before that time, and 2 after. I hunt in MS. and our deer population is pretty good right now.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted the first 1-1/2hour and last 1-1/2hour of the day for five days and turned down 15 bucks ranging from forkhorns to a 5x5 scoring around 150B&C.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:44 PM

I would say: move your hunting spot!

I have not shot a deer in 5 years -in Utah yes- this year I was out a total of 80 hrs including driving and that is in a 1 week 5 day season too when I don't hunt on sunday. This year I saw three bucks. 1. was a 3x3 that only ever offered a butt shot I will not take one of those. 2. I choked on a beautiful 5x5 on public land! at 20 yds I couldn't find him in the scope I was shaking so bad! and the last one was a 1x2 that was 200 yds away with 5 minutes of light left when he started to run-no chance, too risky.

This year I saw the most bucks that I have seen since our drought really got started 11 yrs ago. I have gone 8 seasons without seeing a buck and no more that 10 does as well.

I see bucks a lot the week before and the week after but they know we are out there on either the 19 or 20 of october!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would say i spent 150 or so hours on stand this year. I saw a buck/bucks on 45 or so occasions. I shot mine Oct. 13th so i basically had to just watch them all pass while I was filling doe tags.

Of all the bucks I would have only called 5 or 6 shooters though.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:39 PM

don't know how many hours i sat in stand.but all this year i seen total 23 bucks...4 spikes,several 4pts,6pts,8pts,, then i seen the big boy but did not get a chance to shoot him...i sat alot of hours in the stand...i'm in tennessee.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Spike

I probably spent 100 hrs. in the stand and at least 150 scouting. I saw a buck and doe opening bow season that I missed due to low light and string jump. I saw several doe groups during bow. I shot an 8 pointer opening gun day. Passed on a doe and spike before the wall hanger came by. Saw several does after that on different occasions, but it was not a doe day here in North Carolina so I could not shoot. Closing day in the #1 county in the state I saw one spike and passed.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:55 AM

Ok guy's at the end of the day, what question do you get asked?

HOW MANY BUCKS DID YOU SEE?

SEE ANY BUCKS?

SEEN ANYTHING?

Twenty years ago I always got asked, how many bucks did I see. Ten years ago it changed to seen any bucks. Now it's just did you see anything. The answer is almost always NO.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I saw 10 bucks this year, could have shot 6 of the 10. As far as hours.... probably between 90-100. You need to find a new place to hunt, somewhere with a better buck:doe ratio.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:40 PM

In all I saw @ 15 different bucks. Approximately 90 hours of still tree stand/ground hunting and 10 hours of stalking. I hunt out in the Rochester NY area and up in the Foothills of the Adirondacks. 11 of the 15 were well within range. Unfortunately, the two bucks that I would have taken were not.

1 button, 3 spikes, 4 fours, 2 fives, 3 sixes, 2 eights

"A change will do you good"

Bn'R

Quick Reply: How many hours/ how many bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.