Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on? >

Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Old 01-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

There has always been a battle between horse owners and hunters for public space here in MI. The hunters are now voicing their views and wanting to shut the horse owners down from riding on state or federal land.

As a hunter first and horse owner second, I think this is BS. Let's face it - state owned land is for recreational purposes whether it be hunting, hiking, cross country skiing, horse back riding, whatever.... Taxpayers should have the right to enjoy (responsibly and respectfully) our state land. I do have a problem with horse owners that have the attitude that nothing is as important as their horse and they will ride through anything. That's dumb. I do also have a problem with hunters that think they are the only ones that have the right to enjoy the woods.

I've hunted Michigan's forests for years and let me tell you, a hunter, horse rider, cross country skier and hiker can all be in the same woods on different trails and never even see each other for days. There is that much state land here in MI.

Bottom line, let's all get along.

What's your view? Any input would be appreciated since my wife will read these replys and take it back to her horse board. And yes, she is all for hunting and horse back riding the same. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Default RE: Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

In Utah our problem is cattle/sheep ranchers and personnally I would much rather see deer or elk than cows and sheep when I go to the mountains.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

badshot,
I find this to be an interesting topic. My view of this situation is, we as hunters are faced every day with the very threat these horse owners are now starting to encounter. That is our rights being taken away to do the very thing we love. I find it to be particularly alarming when they are being threatened by HUNTERS. This to me falls under the "Golden Rule" of do unto others............ If we as hunters fight so hard for our rights, what gives hunters the right to say what anyone else can do? I too think we all be able to get along. If there are issues of safety involved with the 2 sports being mixed, that would be a relatively easy fix with some additions of blaze orange. I for one would not want to ride a horse in the woods during deer season without it. I hope this opinion helps and good luck with the outcome.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input. I agree - we as hunters are fighting for our rights to merely step into the woods. The horse issue is happening in a fairly isolated portion of the state. I think the hunters are wrong seeing as most of the horse owners on the horse board think that hunting is great and as horse owners, not riding for the two weeks of firearm season is ok. Or at the very least, wear some orange.

This is a subject close to heart because my wife's passion is horses, just as much as mine is hunting. Not that one person (my wife) can have a say on the entire state's horse owners, but my wife would like to think that hunters have a heart too. As we all know, we do.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:11 PM

Who paid for the land? In PA, our state game lands are paid for by hunter licenses. Hunters first, others second.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

state owned land is for recreational purposes whether it be hunting, hiking, cross country skiing, horse back riding, whatever....
Two questions here;
1. Can you ride a motorized vehical on this state land?
2. When you ride a horse do you have to clean up after it as you do a dog?

Back to the original topic. During hunting season I think all other activity should be disallowed, ie horse back rideing, hiking etc etc. There are laws pertaining to interfering with a legal hunt and I would think this was interference and dangerous at best.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

As long as the horse owners are not going to try to shut down hunting there should be no problem with them using state owned land. The blaze orange requirement is also a good idea.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:50 PM

It is PUBLIC land and to each his own. Lets not fall into the trap of our Anti hunting foes
Old 01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MikeE51848

Who paid for the land? In PA, our state game lands are paid for by hunter licenses. Hunters first, others second.
In MI, the land is paid for by all taxpayers, therefore, all should have access.

We do have ORV (Off Road Vehicle) stamps for motorcyles, trucks and whatnot to have access to two tracks on state land.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it is public land no-one should be able to prevent others from accessing it.If someone is purposly trying to interfere with a hunter while he is hunting that is another matter.

Quick Reply: Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.