Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on? >

Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

I don't like horses at all and with that being said you know how I feel about them personally. The purpose of hunting is to reduce game numbers so that it will keep the game numbers in cheque and have quality wildlife by thinning it out aproperately. By using horses it takes hunting pressure off close to the vehiles as if your a walk-in, most aren't going to go in the bush no more than a mile, but with a horse you can get in the bush deeper and avoid the crowds around the vechiles. It doesn't make any sense to have 100,000 acres to hunt and only a few acres would get hunted by foot. If you feel at a disadvantage by not having a horse, then get one, public lands are made for all of us to enjoy and share.
I apologize for being so scattered on this subject, Bobby
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nascar is America's second most watched sport, and I love it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-11-2004, 05:32 PM

Boy this is one I'm use to but still shake my head when I hear about these types of conflicts. I am an avid hunter and an avid horseman. I also run a trail program for the Forest Service and have built a few miles of trail for all the types of users. As a Wilderness Ranger I've heard all the complaints. As a hunter I'm on the side of the guy who said we shouldn't attack each others rights because we don't like it when it happens to us. As a livestock user I'm on the side of the guy who says we can get away from the crowd and put less pressure on those who hunt by foot. As a Forest Service employee who tries to take care of the forest for all users I'm on the tax payers side, We ALL have the Right to be out there and it's time we stop whining about each other.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i work at a state reserve as a ranger as well....we have quota hunts only...i believe out of 365 days a year , hunters have 46 days to hunt....no camping, no horses, no motorcycles...hikers/sight seeing/fishing/photgraghpy/etc. are welcomed and we have 3 no hunt zones, all are 1 square mile...they are more than welcome to go wherever they like but if they fear for thier saftey then they can walk through them....it's worked here for years this way , long before i worked/hunted there.....the horses have a designated areas and then the trails, but they have to stay on the trails...they tear up the roads, leave poop everywhere and it gets on the guests vehicles and then they complain about that...i think everyone should consider both sides, the hunters and the horse back riders....our problem is when the water is down the cattle cross the river and end up on the property and then when the hog/dog hunts are in , the dogs sometimes go after the cattle and not the pigs....the ranchers try to get them out before the hunts but they dont get em all....but everyone works together, that's the whole point of this long reply , lol
Old 01-13-2004, 07:14 PM

True, we do all have to work together(can't we all just get along?). But working together and finding solutions is different than whining about each other. Each area has it's own unique problems so I didn't try to give answers to their problems which would require a more in depth knowledge. Good to here from another ranger, as you know trying to keep everyone happy can be frustrating and every once in awhile it shows.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Make Blaze orange a requirement not only for the rider, but also for the horse.

I've had horse riders come onto private land during hunting season, and they were NOT wearing orange - black to be exact. Nothing could be more stupid, riding a dark brown horse, during hunting season, wearing black.

I saw that it was a horse, but what if it was one of the other yahoo's around my area that shoot whatever moves?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i would state what i wanted 2 happen, i would say that the horses shouldnt be allowed 2 ride on the public land. but that isnt the case. it is public land and as much as it would be nice 2 have as hunting grounds, i would have 2 say that it should be for horse riding.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:29 PM

If you dont have your own ground to ride your horse on then dont buy 1 period. Let the horses **** all over the owners property. Keep it outta the woods. Thats just what I wanna step in next time I head to my stand. You wanted my opinion, you got it.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on public land and run into people with horses all the time. Usually, they stick to the road or trail. I think the deer are used to this activity, and the riders are usually far enough from where Im hunting to not be a concern. Then there's the mountain biker that was running his dogs (illegally) during turkey season and spoiled my conversation with a bird...
Old 01-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I hate when bear crap oozes under my foot in the morning prior to light-thirty as I am walking in, also the deer and elk crap are nasty to step on too, aren't they? Then the nasty moose piles are bad too. Not to mention how many hunters can't even get off the main trail leaving a paper trail, maybe just stay home next time and watch the outdoor channel than have to wade through all this crap. Bobby
Old 01-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Our Squirrel season begins while our Early Archery season is winding down , but I don't go squirrel hunting until the archery time ends out of respect for my fellow hunter . I do this because I know how honked off I'd get if I drew my bow on a deer only to have a barking .22 scare him off .

Public land is for all to enjoy , and a little respect goes a long way .

Quick Reply: Hunters vs. Horse owners on public land... which side are you on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.