Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats your stand on Elephant,Rino, Zebra,etc etchunts >

Whats your stand on Elephant,Rino, Zebra,etc etchunts

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats your stand on Elephant,Rino, Zebra,etc etchunts

Old 01-10-2004, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Whats your stand on Elephant,Rino, Zebra,etc etchunts

That's what I love about this country today. When we no longer agree with the meaning of something...we just make up a new meaning.

For general information:

hunt
(hnt)
v. hunt·ed, hunt·ing, hunts
v. tr.
To pursue (game) for food or sport.
To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges.
To make use of (hounds, for example) in pursuing game.
To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill: hunted down the escaped convict.
To seek out; search for.
To drive out forcibly, especially by harassing; chase away: hunted the newcomers out of town.
v. intr.
To pursue game.
To make a search; seek.

NOTICE: No where does it say if it's not to eat.....it's not hunting!

P.S. As was noted on an earlier post anyway....elephant meat is indeed eaten...and constitutes a valuable source of fat and protein to the villagers it is provided to. (Not that it matters though....as defining "hunting".)

P.S.S. There is a reason that languages are "standardized"! So it has the same meaning each time it is used!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL That was just my opinion, Mr. Websterbound LOL.
Doesnt change my mind though, I still cant see killing something for fun, Oh excuse me "sport"
Old 01-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zrex: It isn't hunting to hunt for and kill coyotes, cougars, etc? I think Websters and I would dissagree with you.

I would never personally have a desire to shoot an elephant, but I am for elephant hunting. The FACT that convinced with is that where hunting is allowed the populations of elephants are stable or growing because it supports the local people population and poachers are shot on sight. In areas where hunting is not allowed, the populations are dwindling due to poaching. There is no economic or food incentive to protect the elephants in those areas and they are being poached into extinction.

Elephants are becoming endangered species in areas where hunting is not allowed, not where hunting is allowed. Antis don't have an comeback argument for that.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zrex: It isn't hunting to hunt for and kill coyotes, cougars, etc? I think Websters and I would dissagree with you.
Nope ! Next question. LOL
Hey your not that far from me I live in San Antonio. Small world.
Kerville is beautiful. I hunt alot near Rocksprings.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:52 AM

Hi zrexpilot,

No excuse needed! I don't mind if you personally wouldn't hunt something that you wouldn't eat....that's your perogative! But never the less, it doesn't change the definition. Nor does eating of what you kill change in any way the validation of having hunted it! It is strictly an individual's perogative...nothing more...nothing less!

And, by the way, I don't think any less of you either!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nor does eating of what you kill change in any way the validation of having hunted it! It is strictly an individual's perogative...nothing more...nothing less!
Agreed.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:22 PM

I'd say that in rereading most of this thread.....we've got a "full moon" coming!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 PM

Can't and wouldn't hunt rino they are to endangered, however Elephant and zebra you bet I would, in a minute. There are areas of Africa that have huntable populations of Elephant and I might be wrong on this but I think that all meat from all game shot can not be brought into the states anyway. So all the meat goes to local tribes and villages. You might think that Elephant and zebra are easy game to hunt, to the contrary Zebra are a prey animal and are very elusive. Elephant have a tremendous sense of smell and getting close for a shot is not an easy task. So Hunting these animals is no different than hunting any other game animal anywhere in the world. Assuming you have good game managment and habitat conservation. As for the full moon, Yeah I think that might have had somthing to do with the tempers on this thread.

I just reread my post. God, please tell me I'm not beginning to sound like a washington pollitical lobbiest.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:37 PM

Don't worry!

I think you are allowed to bring it to the states, but I as well am not sure.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were not for the hunting and the income derived from it, most of the big game species in Africa would have long since ceased to exist. The few national parks and preserves there are hard pressed to maintain their herds due to the encroachment of poachers and the various armies that have fed themselves on the herds over the past 25 years. The three or four African nations still allowing hunting of these various animals have acquired a fund through the hunting and can afford to maintain a game department that can and does combat the poaching. The animals killed on most of these hunts are by law divided up amongst the tribes in the area, the hunter has little or nothing to say about the disposition of the meat. Regardless of what the fund for wildlife and other non hunter friendly organizations state, their own contributions to the preservation of Africa's big five are miniscule in comparison to what the hunting business, where allowed, brings in. Would I hunt for an Elephant or RHino ? No, I could never afford it. If I lived in Africa and the opportunity, or obligation, presented itself, I would not hesitate.

Quick Reply: Whats your stand on Elephant,Rino, Zebra,etc etchunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.