Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

explodeing bullets

Old 01-10-2004, 01:45 AM

Default explodeing bullets

so here we are watching ER or something and they have a guy that has been shot with some kind of bullets that blow up after hitting, so we are wanting to know if anyone ever heard of this kind
Old 01-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: explodeing bullets

Think of the language we use to describe the effect of some of the bullets used for big game hunting and you may find the source. Like the so-called "Cop killer" bullets a few years ago, explosive bullets just don't exist. If the media gets on to this, the next thing you know there will be legislation in the works to ban any bullet with the ability to expand beyond a certain point or other such drivel.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:27 AM

Hi bambikiller6,

As Coastie has pointed out the media's collective knowledge of firearms and related subjects could probably "be combined and fit on the head of a pin...with room left over". In many cases the media are simply ignorant...and in others it is their intention to purposely be misleading.

The bullet you heard described as explosive....was probably an ignorant description of the effect of an expanding bullet. (Actually, on a show like ER it was probably a deliberate attempt to mislead the public. A play on emotions!) Which is exactly the reason I no longer watch network TV.

And in truth, there has been some experimentation and development of truly explosive bullets. These are currently "banned" items by BATF....and it is illegal to have them in your possession without a proper license. Most attempts at "true exploding" bullets have not met with great success until you reach caliber sizes of either .50 BMG or even more successful 20mm and larger. In the smaller calibers it has been difficult to accomplish anything with an "exploding" bullet that couldn't be done much more effectively and cheaply with a well designed "expanding" bullet.

Never, ever, EVER, EVER, take any BS you hear on TV....and attribute any truth or validity to it. At least not until after you have researched and/or verified the information for yourself. In the case of firearms....not only are they ignorant....they have an agenda and have no qualms with outright lying!

Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep...But I would worry more about bullets mad of ice, after your dead, they melt away and there is no evidence.........
Old 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM

Hi zrexpilot,

I actually saw a movie.....yyyeeeaaarrrrsss ago....where the victim was murdered with an ice knife or an ice arrow, (I don't remember the details). But I thought of that when I read your post. A small world we live in!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got a gun magazine that sells exploding shotgun shells.
They say they are hollow slugs, you put the powder in and it comes with
instructions.Interesting.[]
Old 01-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Hi Indiana Dude,

I wonder if those shells have been rendered inert....in a way that makes it impratical to "fill" them? (But now that you mentioned that....I do remember seeing shotgun shells that were referred to as "bird bombs". They explode and make a boom...but I don't think there is a remaining projectile. Farmers and such use them to scare birds away from crops....and I think I've read somewhere that some airports use them also for the same reason....to scare away the birds.)

It would be something to see!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:58 PM

I have. When they hit they blow up and fire shoots everywhere. You can get them on ebay. Really you can.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:19 PM

Some years back, a line of ammunition named "Exploders" was available. Range went from .22 LR up, in all the common handgun calibers. John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan with this round. Luckily for RR, and the country, they didn't work as advertised, acting as a FMJ. A good conventional expanding bullet works better and more reliably.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:50 PM

I work at Winchester, and we load some bullets called fragibles. They are suppost to break up on impact with hard objects. I have heard that they are for law enforcement. I can see someone thinking that they explode.
They were calling Black Talons exploding bullets. They want hydroshock rounds, so that they can put someone down quick. Talons are a neat round. When they upset, they look like a blender blade.

Quick Reply: explodeing bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.