Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots?

Old 01-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck shots?

Most of the deer I have taken if I had a good shot it would be in the neck and even some in the head . I Have never had to track a deer I shot in the neck , but I have a couple that were shot in the chest . Personally I see nothing wrong with a neckshot if you know what your doing and have the ability to do it .
Old 01-11-2004, 08:14 PM

I would just like to kill one. Through the neck the sholder what ever works. My deer hunting success has been slim this season. [:@]
Old 01-11-2004, 08:20 PM

I did take a nice 6 point in the early 90's at about 200 yards through the neck and it looked like something snatched the legs out from under it. But thats the only time I have ever shot one in the neck and to tell you the truth I think it was a luck shot then.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:35 PM

I would take a neck shot if it was the best shot available in a second. Sometimes I just feel more comfortable taking a heart/lung shot.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:29 AM

if the deer is not moving, neck definetely
Old 01-13-2004, 07:47 PM

Joe_148 instead of shooting it in the heart and tearing off meat like you did why didnt u just shoot it in the head????
Well, I was using slugs, and it was my first deer. I wanted it to have a head..
Plus, I just wanted to finish it quick and its head was moving around so the heart was easiest.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:21 PM

I would never take a neck shot with my bow. I have however taken a neck shot a time or two with my rifle when no other shot presented itself. I prefer the heart/lungs any day.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM

Depends on the situation presented me, but I shoot them in the neck/head frequently. Never lost one, never had one move. Many folks down here are neck shooters.

Shot two in the head and one 10-point in the neck this year alone. Understand I'm not bragging, merely supporting my post.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

A neck shot definitely damages a good neck roast and the cape(trophy hunter, sorry). A heart/lung shot may damage very little of the less desireable rib meat. The risk is not worth the reward on the neck shot. I have taken two of them because it was the best shot I had but I don't make a practice of it.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 PM

normally i shoot 4 the shoulder but the only time i have ever shot a buck in the neck was when i shot him in the lungs and he dropped at 150yds and then i shot him in the neck once he raised his head because he kept staring at me. and everyone knows that staring is rude. lol. no.... i shot him in the neck to guaruntee that he stayed down. because one day i went hunting i i made a shot when i could barely see through my scope and i hit low on his leg just to where the bullet wouldnt hit his body(not intended to hit low). and i thought that i hit him good and apparently not. by the time i got to where he was, he was gone.[:'(] he was a MONSTER 8 or 10pointer.

Quick Reply: Neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.