Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots?

Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Neck shots?

I was reading another post and was curious of how many people don't like neck shots. I can understand some logic that on a big deer, you take a chance of not hitting the neck bone, but on a doe or a buck that isn't rutting..........

I guess I'll be opening the can of worms (so to speak), but I personally like a neck shot due to less meat damage and they do drop in their tracks.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:56 AM

Default RE: Neck shots?

lungs for me
Old 01-10-2004, 08:49 AM

I pick the sweet spot behind the shoulder. Done it that way for 25 years. Don't see a need to change.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen neck shot deer go down at the shot,then get up and run away.A shot near the vertebrae will stun them but may not provide a quck kill.Why take the chance when the lungs are so much bigger?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what smitty said. There's no doubt that neck shots can and do work, and some people swear by them. However, there is a chance that the neck shot can be off just a little resulting in a wounded animal rather than a quick kill. For me I'd rather shoot behind the shoulder. The kill zone is much larger, and chances are much better in the case that the shot is not exactly where you wanted it. As for meat loss, IMO thats no concern to me. A properly placed shot behind the shoulder nets almost zero meat loss.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what Smitty said, I only take head shots on turkey. Bobby
Old 01-10-2004, 11:38 AM

i go with heart and lungs,lot bigger target
Old 01-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally like a neck shot due to less meat damage and they do drop in their tracks.
It is funny how I see this line (disclaimer) if you will from those who prefer a neck shot, b/c if your skilled enough to hit the neck (1-2") target and truly concerned about meat damage as your #1 reason for taking the neck shot then a lung shot rib in and rib out would waste less meat and also allow even the best shooters a good 5-6" buffer just in case. I think it should just say I want my deer to tip over in there tracks so I aim for the neck. If you truly think your saving meat with a neck over a rib shot (lungs) then you need some time with a butcher, b/c it simply ain't true.

I prefer the vitals for obvous reasons. I am not saying that neck shots won't work but having seen botched neck shots and having to track those animals has made it a no question situation for me...if no vitals no shot!
Old 01-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

If you truly think your saving meat with a neck over a rib shot (lungs) then you need some time with a butcher, b/c it simply ain't true.
I butcher my own meat and process the ribs to be prepared the same as pork or beef ribs or cut the meat to be used for jerky and for stews. Also, if no meat is saved, why aren't slaughtered animals killed by sticking them through the heart or lungs? Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:08 PM

Also, if no meat is saved, why aren't slaughtered animals killed by sticking them through the heart or lungs? Just a thought.
My guess would be because sticking them through the heart or lungs may not kill the animal instantly, which with cows could become very dangerous.

My first deer (and only) was hit in the neck. It was drived to me along with two other does, and my second shot (buckshot) hit one of them in the neck. She dropped right away, but still sprawled around and tried to get up. I quickly ran up and finished her with a slug through the heart, which in turn took off a large portion of meat on the shoulder..

If I could choose a shot it would be behind the shoulder, but that day my pellet just happened to connect with neck.

Quick Reply: Neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.