Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A good rifle for a kid

Old 01-06-2004, 08:48 PM

Default RE: A good rifle for a kid

A buddy of mine was given a 6mm as his first deer rifle when he was 12. He hunted with it for 15 years and killed plenty of deer. Excellent deer rifle and super accurate with little recoil however the .243 would be my choice due to a better selection of ammo. Either way you can't go wrong.
Ballistictip, I came back to this post to say just that, but you beat me to it! That's a very good point. I always had some struggles finding my 6MM ammo. No doubt that it's an awesome caliber! Long live the Remington .244! (6MM)
Old 01-07-2004, 06:31 AM

Thanks for all of yalls replys,I got more than I thought I would get,I really wanted to get the 243 so I could use it myself until he was ready,and just tell my wife its for him and she would probally let me get it today.But I have 3 boxes of 6mm rounds my cousin give me,but I can save em and might one day find a gun for cheap.Thanks again for the replys
Old 01-07-2004, 07:24 AM

Nothing like starting early. Congrats on the newborn. Proud papa, does mom have him wrapped in swaddling cammies? Just a little fatherly advise: let the boy observe your love for hunting, put him in a pack when he's old enough and just start taking him on slow strolls through the whitetails playgrounds. Little by little he will learn to take-on your love of the outdoors. Most likely, someday you will hear those magic words, "daddy can I go hunting with you", that is the time[in my humble opinion] to start thinking about a gun for the little guy. I know that you are asking about something you can use in the meantime but just think about some future Christmas or birthday. There is something magical about a little one opening up his 1st. NEW, REAL, HUNTING RIFLE. It's one of those magic moments a dad experiences when his son or daughter bags their 1st. deer. As I said, congratulations on your boy but please just give a little thought to what I have suggested. I do wish you and your family all the best in the New Year.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:30 AM

Just what you said is basicly what I was wanting to do,I was just saying I could get it today because it would be for him and the wife would go for that but I would rather buy it new and let him open it up and see the joy.But it will still be awhile before I hear those magic words(Daddy can I go shoot a slickhead)
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 AM

Amen CATT DADDY! I'm proud of you and thank you for listening to my suggestions. I've been through this myself and know it's real important to go slow. I have seen too many occasions of potential hunters turning away from our love because of over zealous folks. You sound like you are truckin in the right direction. Good luck & thank momma everyday for what she has given to you.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:35 AM

Congratulations on your new huntin buddy. The .243 and 6mm are about the smallest you would want to go. My neice used a .223 when she was 10 but the shots were limited to less than 75 yards. Start with the bb gun and work your way up as the child ages. If the child can shoot a 20 guage comfortably then he should handle a .243 ok.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 PM

look at the 220-swift
Old 01-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate to say this but since you are thinking of a childs first deer rifle, I'll say it!
The .22's are just not good for an inexperienced hunter! The shots have to be too perfect! The .243/6MM's are a much better choice!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:46 PM

What is everyones opinion about a .30carbine .30 caliber? Kicks less than any of the .22's and pushes a .30 caliber 110 grain bullet?

This was my first hunting rifle and it kill's deer just as dead as any other rifle I have used.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bobo, good for short range only!
My point to the .22's and small 30's is if you are buying something, why settle for marginal, when there are so many better calibers out there!?

Quick Reply: A good rifle for a kid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.