Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to deer hunting

Old 01-06-2004, 05:49 AM

Default new to deer hunting

first time deer hunting this year, i missed the rut, what are the chances of getting a deer this late....i'm in ohio, and bow season ends the end of this month...i would love to get a deer being my first year....but i understand most people go years without getting a deer.......i don't want to get discouraged....
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new to deer hunting

lfranklin I do not want you to get discouraged either, but I will warn you that some folks hunt for years without getting their first, others by sheer luck get their first the first time they go out. There are a couple of things you must do to become a successful hunter. First thing you must do is be persistant, the second thing you must do is learn, every time you go into the woods hunting or not try and leave having gained some sort of knowledge. Every time you get busted by a deer try and figure out why. Every time you hunt and do not even see a deer figure out if the reason you didn't was because you did something wrong or if you were just there at the wrong time. If this is your first season one thing you may want to do if you are not already is to hook up with an experienced hunter. Ask questions of us or anyone who knows how to hunt.

Hunting is learning.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome.

If hunting with a bow you only have to do one thing:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE,

Get my drift?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 AM

farmcntry what did you say
Old 01-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dude, I said:

PRACTICE!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:54 AM

Gotcha, i thought you said practice
Old 01-06-2004, 07:01 AM

Taz gave some excellent advice.

The most important thing to remeber is not to get frustrated or discouraged. Patience is the key!

Also, if you have been hunting hard in one area and it isn't working out for you.....do some scouting to find where the deer are. In-season scouting is extremely important and some hunters forget that. Know what signs to look for.......if you don't know, then ask someone who does, whether on the net or in person.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

if you have snow now get out there and find where the deer are traveling . find a funnel area or a good food sorce good luck
Old 01-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where in Ohio are you hunting?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has given good advice. Practice is very important and leads to confidence in your abilities and equipment. Don't get discouraged if you don't harvest an animal your first year because many people don't but yes some do. I wasn't one of the lucky ones who did and it took me several years before i took my first deer when i started hunting. One thing i learned early on and you must remember is...YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN! If you're patient yet persistent then your opportunity will come. It's never to late to harvest a deer and i've seen some big bucks killed on the last day of hunting season. Just hang in there and enjoy yourself because that's what it's all about. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: new to deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.