Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please >

What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please

Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please

I've heard this my whole hunting life but have never heard an explanation of how to recognize them, especially the not so obvious ones. Can someone explain what a saddle on hills looks like? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 PM

Default RE: What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please

Basically a funnel is a place that deer are forced or prefer to pass through. Deer generally take the easiest route possible while still staying in some type of cover, generally. A good example of a man made funnel would be a fence that runs some distance. Well to funnel deer to your set up make a pass in the fence at some point either my cutting or pushing the fence down. Set a stand up near the pass and smoke them when they come through.

Another example of a funnel is a natural one like the one I hunt. I hunt at the top of a gradual slope that leads down to a river, deer don't try to cross the river because it is about 200 yds wide and probably 20 ft deep in some places. What makes it a funnel is that there is a drainage ditch that runs almost to the top of slope where I'm set up at down to the bottom where it empties in to the river. This drainage ditch runs a few hundred yards and is pretty deep with steep walls, deer generally won't pass through it, instead they pass at the top where the ditch ends and I am set up.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 PM

Good explanation Cisco, thanks. Ive been wondering what exactly one is, now I understand..
Old 01-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Iswoody, Picture a funnel \/ it can be alot of things in the woods. Anything that narrows down their route of travel. Where they cross a creek or river are great funnels.You have a large set of woods that fingers down into a hedgerow through a field. They are going to try and stay in cover. A few trees down along a travel route that they walk around instead of jumping over is always a good one.

If you live where there is snow down this is a great time to find funnels without even trying. Walk through the woods and pay attention to where the deer trails all start coming together. There usually a reason why. You ever notice you'll be walking through the woods and all the sudden there are deer tracks everywhere? That's where you need to stop and figure out why, and where you can place a good stand.

The one hill I hunt has very steep ridges and a couple spots that allow easy travel. The ridge is about a mile long 99% of the deer travel goes through three spots because of this.

Here's a link that might help you identify stuff off a topo map.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...pos/index.html
Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ponds also create a funneling effect in some cases, especially if there is a stream entering or leaving the pond. Usually the deer will move through to one side of the pond or the other to browse along the stream or moving from feeding or bedding areas. Flat bottomed gulleys that run for a ways can also be a funnel if they are between food and bedding. A funnel is normally a narrow area of cover deer move through, but it can also be nothing more than a low spot running through a large field between two sections of woods.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is an area that I hunt. I have taken 2 decent bucks and a doe in the front funnel and my largest buck off the rear funnel of the swamp. Hunting funnels is a great tactic. Thought a pic would help you better pick out your own funnels.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 AM

I have a 80ft cliff that leads to a game fence (of someone elses property)
Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

i have 2 different spots that i took 2 bucks & 1 doe from this year both are by big ravines i hunt where they come to an end
Old 01-06-2004, 08:21 PM

here is a perfect example of a funnel on the river bottoms where i hunt
Old 01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eric

Man talk about funnels there are probably a 100 of them on that map. Looks like a great place to hunt. Lots of back wash oxbow swamps back in there for them to hide in. Nice place!

Quick Reply: What makes a funnel? How do you recognize them? Examples please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.