Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 AR type clones for deer and other game? >

AR type clones for deer and other game?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

AR type clones for deer and other game?

Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default AR type clones for deer and other game?

This is just to find out how other hunters feel about these type of guns in the hunting woods.
Some hunters tend to shun these type of "military" guns in the field stating they have no place in hunting camps, however, chambered in the proper hunting caliber, i.e., .243, .308 or 300WSM these rifles can be sucessfully used to take all types of game animals. Deer, elk, bear, etc.
They are already gaining acceptence in the "varmit" circles in the standard.223 configuration.
Just curious on your thoughts.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: AR type clones for deer and other game?

Personally I prefer bolt-actions, although the Browning BAR is an excellent semi-auto. As far as military-type rifles: to each his own. If the cartridge (.308, for instance) can take a deer, then all you need to worry about is accuracy.

I have some serious reservations about using the .223 for deer. Sure, it can kill deer (my cousin took his first with a Ruger Mini-14, ended up having to slit its throat), but it just doesn't have enough energy for my tastes. Basically, my philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I love a good ol' Remington 700 chambered in the .30-06 cartridge. Has killed deer dead for almost 100 years.

Incidentally, hunting laws here in Virgina prohibit the use of all .22 cartridges for deer.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I prefer bolt-actions
I agree.

I have some serious reservations about using the .223 for deer.
I agree again. Also the .22 cals are not legal in NC for deer either.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I am not suggesting the .223 for deer sized game...I think this cartrige is un-acceptable for this task.
My question is ...are these "military" looking rifles acceptable, say, in your hunting camp, for large game animals in the appropriate caliber?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:05 AM

i dont think it is the look,color,caliber or what i think in is whether it is semi or fully automatic, looks mean nothing they only give a gun a bad name, my opinion as long as they are legal and you like the look hunt with them
Old 01-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I understood your post; but considering than most AR's are chambered in .223, I wanted to get my thoughts on it out in the open. Like I said, I'm fine with larger caliber models. They're just not my cup of tea, personally.