Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have you ever been lost in the woods? >

Have you ever been lost in the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever been lost in the woods?

Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Have you ever been lost in the woods?

I have pondered this question and wondered if any of you would share what you did when you got lost in the woods or mountains while hunting or scouting? I have had both experiences happen to me, both in a blizzard, and scary. The first experience was in the mountains and I almost died, someone from a camp close to us did perish and was never found, the second one, helped me survive due to the first experience. Would you know what to do if you did get lost? If you have been lost how did you get yourself out?

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-02-2004, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Have you ever been lost in the woods?

yep quite a few times. Walk in the same direction and youll come out somewhere. Dont walk in someones back yard with a gun. That didnt go to well.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 AM

getting lost in the woods isn't so bad. that's how i found some of my best hunting spots..... on accident. it's like "i never knew this was here!".
Old 01-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got lost once in the Black Hills in SD. I walked down to the bottom of a big canyon and came across a fire road. I waited along the road not wanting to walk either way for fear of getting even further back in the sticks Just before dark as I was getting ready to try to start a fire to survive the night. Another hunter came down the road in his jeep. He picked me up and took me to the nearest town where he lived and I called for help from there. It was only 5 above zero at sundown and I don't know if I would have made it or not. I never went into the woods alone again without a good survival kit. No body should. You never know when you could fall and be hurt or just get turned around and loose your way.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive been turned around for a few hours when the cpmpasses broke and the coon dogs took us way back in or we were wandering around and got mixed up or something.....nothing over a few hours though.....i fell very confidant if i had to survive i could......survival is one of my favorite things to read and learn about...and i always carry a few simple things......i ALWAYS have a knife...usually many....and usually havea few things to start a fire.....always do when im hunting or scouting new or remote areas...with just that i can survive an overnight stay.....and if im hunting for the day or im way back there i always have my pack.......2 liters of water and food to hold me there very confortably all day..plus a compass 2 flashlights and extra batteries...other knives..rope ect ect.....i think i could survive long enough to be found.....dont want to try and find out on purpose though
Old 01-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, I've had moments of getting turned around but have found my way out...Luckily. The last time it happened I sat down on a log and calmed myself down. Then I took out my compass, took a reading on a distant tree, and went to it. Then I took another reading and went to it. I got out just at dark and wasn't prepared for a night in the woods. Since then I always carry fire starters of different kinds, first aid, space blankets, and food/water. I think that keeping a calm head is of the upmost importance...
Old 01-02-2004, 01:35 PM

I got lost my senior year in high school , with two other guys.one said he knew how to get to an island way back in the swamp out from lake kissimmiee. we got there all right just before day break(needless to say at dark me and the other guy couldn't see the trail on how to get there and back.)
after hunting all day we start out and the first guy can't find the trail out.(about 2 to 3 miles out).
We were lost and it was getting dark.so we made camp,ate some squirrels I had killed.the next day we finally walked out at about 3pm.about 1 mile from the truck.

our praents had a lot of people looking for us.they said two planes,two choppers, and about 150 people.sheriffs dept,city police from 3 towns,a lot of towns people,and some troops from the local air base.

the swamp we were in runs for about 35 miles one way and 20 miles across.a lot of swamp.

ever since then I know who I going with and the way in and out.I have been turned around a few times , but not completely lost since then.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Once, about 4 yrs ago i was scouting a property I had never been on before and got disoriented. I knew the direction I needed to go and kept to it till I came out (luckily) right where I wanted to be. At dusk, I was starting to get a little nervous though. A calm head is a must for finding your way. Survival kit and compass doesn't hurt to have along either...
Old 01-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been turned around for a little while before.lol
Old 01-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have got turned around a few times but like
some one said,keep a cool head,you can make
it out,stay calm![8D]

Quick Reply: Have you ever been lost in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.