Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with hounds?

Old 01-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with hounds?

had a couple of hunters looking for there dogs,, turns out they were hunting/running deer with them and they crossed the river onto the land i work on, they lost one, it was found dead on the side of the road....i saw the hurt in this man's eyes, he loved the dogs, but he didnt love them enough to have tracking collars....i hope to God he finds them, there were 6, 5 left roaming....i have mixed feelings on this subject , i personally wouldnt do it, but i cant rag on those who do, if it's legal, go for it...but i would like to see these dogs with collars, some kind of tracking device....same with the hog dogs
Old 01-02-2004, 09:20 AM

I ALWAYS KEEP TRACKING COLLERS ON MY COONHOUNDS.THIS HAPPENED TO ME ONE TIME .MY COON HOUND STOPED BARKING FOR SOME REASON,WELL I GOT OUT MY TRACKING UNIT,TRACKED HER SHOWED HER ABOUT 1 MILE THRU THE WOODS NEXT TO THE ROAD.DROVE AROUND TO GET HER,PUT THE TRACKING UNIT ON AGAIN SHOWED HER REAL CLOSE,WALKED TO WHERE IT WAS SHOWING MY DOG I FOUND THE TRACKING COLLER NEXT TO THE ROAD IN THE DITCH.SOMEONE STOLE MY COON HOUND,NEVER FOUND MY HOUND.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:33 PM

if you are going to run deer get some kind of bassit hound mix or something. i can understand hunting up there with dogs but don't have a coon hound.
What? A beagle a coon hound? what are you cracked? maybe where your from but around here beagles are for deer. It would take a basset hound a full day to run a 1 mile squared tract of forest. Around here coons are the dirtiest animal around, would never eat one.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe_148

if you are going to run deer get some kind of bassit hound mix or something. i can understand hunting up there with dogs but don't have a coon hound.
What? A beagle a coon hound? what are you cracked? maybe where your from but around here beagles are for deer. It would take a basset hound a full day to run a 1 mile squared tract of forest. Around here coons are the dirtiest animal around, would never eat one.
never ever eat it trap it yes
Old 01-02-2004, 02:43 PM

beagles are for rabbits.but you can train them to run deer.if that is the only way to kill deer up there,that is the way to go.not to start anything.i will ship you a 2 year old walker coon hound .he runs deer all the time cannot brake him shocking coller does not fase him.he will be good up there where you are huntin.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

You guys have really opened my eyes, I had no Idea that dogs were legal in Virginia, And I sure as heck never heard of it in Canada, That would be absolutley awesome to run dogs in Canada. We're lucky here in Louisiana I guess, depending on where you stand on the use of dogs. Our dog seaon starts a lot later than our still hunt only season, unlike the situation Pearl Jam described. Even if we didn't have dog season It gets very very tough around here for still hunting after app. the 10th of December, I really don't think our still hunting would be that much better if they were to cut dog season out the way that some people want it! Besides, changing land use and growth and development has all but killed dog running around here in my neck of the woods anyway.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Where I deerhunted last was in northern Arkansas. It had been made illegal to hunt with dogs, except in certain areas. Most all the folks that did use dogs before the law was passed, still do. What I always hated about it, was that they turn them loose, without tracking collers or any way of getting them back. These dogs just ran loose all season chasing deer, starving, and getting into folks stuff for the most part. We would quite often find them outside our door eating from the food we put out for our animals. I have never hunted deer with dogs, but under the right conditions wouldn't mind giving it a try. I did, for the first time hunt hogs last weekend with the use of dogs, and they were on tracking collars. There would have been no way to keep track of them and hunt the hogs without the use of the collers. There may be some who think it is an unethical way to hunt them, but the thrill of sticking a 300 lb. hog with a knife was,, was,, well it was just awesome. Hard to describe the thrill of being that close to a hog that could take you out and send you to the hospital in a heartbeat.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah this evening after I posted this, I sat in the woods saw 6 deer walk infront of me, they were listening to the dogs the whole time, but were not spooked by them, the dogs were busy running some other deer across the other side of the cutover. Poor deer today got ran to death, all of the dogs this certain club uses are beagles, they are slow and can't quite keep up to the deer like a hound though. I wish hunting with dogs was illegal in Virginia, it would make the end of hunting season more pleasant
Old 01-02-2004, 05:24 PM

Still not sure where I stand on the issue of hunting with dogs. I'm sure it's exciting but still don't know how I feel about shooting an animal that I myself worked to harvest. Don't get me wrong I don't knock anybody who does hunt over dogs. I just don't think I could do it.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

bobcat, our 2 black and tans are the best deer hounds our camp has ever had. sure they can be great coon hounds but they can be trained to be excellent deer hounds as well.
pat

Quick Reply: Hunting with hounds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.