Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Great hunt. No Deer

Old 01-01-2004, 10:41 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Great hunt. No Deer

Went out yesterday morning. about 9 am I had a coughing fit and figured I had screwed the hunt for at least a couple hours. So I went home and got my stepson (7 ) and let him come with me squirrell hunting. He carried a 22 and I carried my 12 guage(with 00 buck just in case) We saw 1 turkey land in a tree 100 yards away, and we jumped a deer. We hunted from about 10 till 3. Didn't see any squirrel, but I was able to work with him ontrying to walk quietly( he tries but at 7 it's mighty hard) . I'm gonna take him out again this afternoon and have him stay with me till dark. Hoping to get a chance for him to shoot at a squirrel. I don't think he has a chance to hit it. he can shoot a pellet rifle well when he's in prone position but the 10-22 is too big for him to shoulder. I'll brace the weapon while he takes a shot, but I have to say yesterday was one of the most enjoyable hunts I've ever had. It's hard to describe the excitement on that boys face when the deer jumped up. He followed directions perfectly and won't take the safety off till I give him the nod. Deer season ends Saturday and I was really hoping to take another deer but I have to say I don't mind giving up yesterday or today at all. Besides, there are still 2 days after today.

David
Old 01-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Great hunt. No Deer

It is always fun to take the younger generation out into the woods and get them interested in hunting. Hopefully next year my 10 yr old girl will get to go to the woods with me (with Moms approval, of course)