Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To good to be true...

Old 12-28-2003, 03:36 PM

Default To good to be true...

I recently got permitin to hunt on a 500 acre farm. I was told by the owner(80 year old women who rents the farmland out to farmers) that there was only 1 guy that hunts on the farm. Well I head out there today to walk the property and find 5 or 6 ladder tree stands all on her property.So now Im like geez what the heck. I found 5 deer carcusses scattered within 200 yards of eachother all with no skulls. The women told me that noone but her son is back there and he doesnt hunt to often. Well theres definently guys back tresspassing on her property and ontop of it there poaching deer. I dont care what anyone says you dont find 5 deer skeletons with no heads that close together. so I went up to the house and told her what was going on back there and she told me that noone supposed to be back there and if anyone is then she would like me to run them off. It is a really nice piece of land with as much deer sign as you could ask for but between work and family I barely have enough time to hunt let alone try to keep these guys off the property. Her house is about 1000 yards from the woods and it is impossible to see anyone going into them woods because there are access roads that guys can come on from the otherside of the land. I dont know if I want to deal with the aggrivation that this will cause if I try to keep these guys off. But whoever it is I would like them to pay for poaching these deer. I am so burned up over this if I do run into this guy I might end up doing something i'll regret. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to stop this. Anyone with similar experiences.If not what would you do?
Old 12-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To good to be true...

First of all where is this problem farm? I would do the obvious and contack DNR to set up surveilance of the property, if they can't be bothered I would seek the help of others ie friends and such. Hope you can get a handle on this quick.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:50 PM

southern nj
Old 12-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, imangine that, I live in Winslow (Sicklerville) and would be glad to help you out.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:58 PM

thats a crappy deal, i would be mad as can be too, especially with all the poaching.Yah id talk to the dnr.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd have her (or you) sign a bunch of posted signs and get them up ASAP!! I had a similar situation a few years ago and now I control that piece of land. It wont' take too many times for them to be busted especially with posted sign up to chase them off. Sounds like it could be a nice lil hideaway for you. If you run into them politely discus the matter and how you have permission and the landowner doesn't want anyone else there. Also, try to contact the son that hunts it too and team up with him. good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:15 PM

Absolutely get the authorities involved. Around here, atleast, word travels fast and the poachers would learn soon enough that they are being watched. A criminals first thing is opportunity, so yeah, post the signs and let the game warden know what you have seen, even if you decide to not hunt there. Scum like that need to be stopped.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:52 PM

i saw a pic of a tresspasser on the trail cam web site i think it was, i wanted to get it one year but i found if you dig a pit 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide in the trail when a truck hits it... well you know where this is going just do it on your land and check the laws you might get sued if you dont have no tresspassing all over the place and dont hit it with your truck. after 3 weeks i filled it back in all was good
Old 12-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely get the DNR involved. Take pictures of the deer carcusses for proof and show them. There's no reason for a headless carcuss except for poachers. That should get them interested big time!

Talk to her son and see if he has any friends out there hunting. You do not want to tick him off so he goes back to mommy and has her revoke your hunting priviledges.

Also, if you need help I would not be afraid to contact MDbohunter. He is an ethical hunter and would make a good ally to go up against these poachers.

Set up some deer cameras and make sure they are well hid. You might catch one of these poachers in the act on film. That would be great!

Good luck!
Matt
Old 12-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree with everyone else. Contact appropriate authorities, pictures, trail cams. With that indisputable proof, there's no way that the authorities would turn you down. Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: To good to be true...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.