Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you hunt?

Old 12-27-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Where do you hunt?

I'm just curious. Around here there are alot of game ranches that will get you 170 class for a price. Even if I had it, I doubt I would. I know I am very lucky for my situation, but I am curious about public land for maybe an elk hunt someday. Did it once when I was 14. . . but on private ranch. So.. Who hunts private land? public land, have a lease, family property?
Old 12-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Where do you hunt?

In the woods///LMAO....Oklahoma
Old 12-27-2003, 11:36 PM

DANG Rtiny you beat me to it, i was going to say that.I hunt both public and private ground. The public kinda stinks because the public ground we hunt gets alot of pressure opening wkend, and then after that it gets hardly any, so they get pushed around alot opening day and then after that they lay low.So its kind of hard to hunt it right. The private land we hunt isnt too bad, not the best hunting land around but we fill most tags every year.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:48 PM

public, but around here there is not really a reason to hunt private... so much good public land.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:03 AM

Sry Young Gun.... I couldn't help me self.........Hunt farmer owened land till he catches on he can make money on it......surrounded by leased land on all four sides, I guess I should be thanking the man Above ThankYou JESUS!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt some of the roughest country god created south of the yukon and love it (read the fair chase articles coming out),, i don't pay to hunt,, don't need to just get my tags and hunt on..,, the man above sent this one my way this year in my back yard...sweet and tender he was N.W. blacktail not big but tasty we don't hunt horns out here either...

Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 AM

There is hardly any public land available to hunt in Texas. 3% I think. It is such an enormous business here. My company leases 6500 acres near Hondo(40 miles West of SA) for all of our family and some employees(family business) I hunt here mostly because the land is alot more accesible and there's always good cooking and plenty of folks around the campfire at night. Probably 10-15 guns average go out for each morning and evening hunt. Almost all stand hunting with corn feeders. Some will stalk evey now and then or rattle during the rut. There's a couple blinds around a 500+acre oat field. I have my own pasture of about 300 acres that I have saved some nice deer. But my uncle, who owns more of the company than I and is president often lets guests hunt in my place. It's on the border of the ranch, too, and the neighbors are not real selective. Sounds like WW3 out there sometimes.
We have another place, 10 miles West of SA. An 837 acre slice on a dry creek with a canyon. Roughest country I have ever seen. One giant Rock. Bought to set up a quarry operation that takes up about 75 acres. We've had it about 12 years, but only my dad and I really hunt there. Those are OUR deer, trying to let the herd come back. Poachers have decimated the deer population. So close to San Antonio, hard to keep them out. My dad got the first buck any of us have taken this year, old, old 10 pointer w/ a lazy eye. I have passed a couple good ones, got some good video. I have taken 3 hogs in the past 2 years there. It's beautiful out there. 2 caves along the creek big enough to stnad up in and hold 50 people. I went out there yesterday and found 2 real nice rubs, no where near anyone else goes. have to get around in 4WD.
They are out there, I get sick of talking about work at camp when I am supposed to be enjoying myself, so I may start hunting here more seriously in the future.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Between National Forests and Type II hunting land, there is a lots of cheap or free hunting here in East Texas. I don't and wouldn't hunt these lands anymore though. There are just too many people hunting these places.
Hunting clubs or leases here are still affordable, so I'd rather be on private property.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Public land. is the way to go. lots of it around here and I seldom see another hunter , we all know where each other hunts and don't bother each other. There's lots of game and land for everyone.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Private family land and friends private land. Twice a year we hunt public land and once to twice a year we do special hunts on public land. They're all good!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Where do you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.